ad: l-innov
ad: l-rl
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-tentec

Default Ft 817 no output power

Hi,
    I have just come back to Radio after a break of 10 years. My old Ft 817 in CW mode does not seem to put out any power. My SWR meter does not show any power and the Power meter on the radio the bar graph does not light up! The red TX light does come on.
    There are four power levels L1 L2 L3 and H (or H may be represented by L3 Flashing.) L3 shows on the LCD but never flashes and H never puts in an appearance.
    What am I doing wrong?
    Richard G0ILN.

You are closing the key, right?
    What if soy milk is just regular milk introducing itself in Spanish?

Does it output power in FM or AM? If this is all band/mode problem could be a bad PA. The older 817's are notorious for that. Good news is the new replacement board has been updated and no longer self destructs and costs less than $50 USD and is user serviceable by anyone with moderate skills.

Quote Originally Posted by WR1O View Post
    Does it output power in FM or AM? If this is all band/mode problem could be a bad PA. The older 817's are notorious for that. Good news is the new replacement board has been updated and no longer self destructs and costs less than $50 USD and is user serviceable by anyone with moderate skills.
    Yep. Apparently if you left batteries in the 817 and they got low, the finals would self-oscillate and self-destruct. Replacement is supposed to be pretty straightforward -- you need a good regulated power supply and a DVM. The service manual is available online in a number of places.

Hi all,
    thanks for your help since reading your replys I have Googled the blown finals and my problem is classic! Amateurs have even (tongue in Cheek) started a club the fault is so wide spread. I have downloaded a repair sheet by Mike Perry PA7XG which is a simple guide to replacing the board.
    I have a QRO set so I am not off the air.
    Thanks again.

Richard. G0ILN.