Callsign
ad: Amateuramateur-1
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Soldering iron tips, why plated?

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-rl
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-innov
ad: l-gcopper

Quote Originally Posted by K8ERV View Post
    Right. I'm saving that line for Vanna.
    Nah.

That would be, "I came, I awed, I cowered."
    What if soy milk is just regular milk introducing itself in Spanish?

Ash Fork, AZ - 60 miles south of the Grand Canyon, off of Route 66.

Quote Originally Posted by M6DFV View Post
    Most tips I see these days seem to be plated material, that flakes off after a while, sometimes after quite a short while.
    You may be running those tips hotter than they should be. I use a Weller soldering station and a selection of 5 or 6 tips. These are plated tips are temperature controlled by a thermostat in the handle. I just have to select the right tip for the job. Over the past 40 years, the transformer in the soldering station burned out and one tip broke. But other than that, I have been using the same tips for 40 years and I use the iron on a regular basis.

I have never seen the plating flake off. Are you possibly running the tips too hot? A lot of people tend to use the tip as a pry bar when removing parts from a board. That can cause the tip to flex and loosen the plating. I cringe when I see people prying things off of circuit board with their iron. Those are the only reasons that I can think of for the plating to flake off.
    73, Martin, K7MEM
    Ash Fork, AZ
    [URL]http://www.k7mem.com[/URL]

In my area, it seems that every pickup truck or SUV comes with one or more dogs. It's so common that I can only assume that the dog(s) must come with the vehicle. So logic tells me that, if you want to keep the truck for a long time, go for the multi-dog option. Otherwise, if the dog dies, you have to buy a new truck. I have five dogs (4 dogs as of 4/4/2013, RIP Katie), so I'm set for a few years.

If you prefer to use unplated copper tips as I do for some tasks, it's crucial to remove oxidization after every use. Failure to do so will result in uneven heating and eventually contribute to a transformer blow-up. Use Never-Dull or a similar copper cleaner to remove oxidization after every use. Also, its easier to clean the tip after each use than try to clean the tip after many uses.

The same principle applies to copper bottom pots and pans. Be sure to clean the bottom of the pot or pan after every use. Regular cleaning allows the pot to heat evenly. Also, you'll get more use out of the pot or pan.

73, Jordan

Quote Originally Posted by WB2WIK View Post
    I wasn't. Tom was referring to veni vidi vici (Latin for "I came, I saw, I conquered"). That's what I say when I show up at Field Day.
    Not to mention "sum, es, est, summus, estes sunt." And "Cogito, ergo sum." (I think.)

Western Michigan. Great summers but nasty winters.

Quote Originally Posted by K8ERV View Post
    I know it can be done, but how do you do it?

Last summer at a yard sale a lady almost gave me a new pound roll of solder. Said she wanted it for glass work
    but due to the flux it was no good for her purpose. I didn't argue.

I have some hydrofluoric acid, does that help? Oh wait, I think the bottom just fell out of the glass bottle.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo
    You don't actually solder the glass. In between each piece of glass is an 'H' shaped strip of lead called a 'came'. The cames hold the glass together and then are tinned with solder so they don't move. Copper foil can also be used in place of the cames.
    Mark, K8MHZ

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3