ad: l-innov
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-rl
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-gcopper

Default Android CW + Rockmite??

All,
    As you probably remember, I picked up what was later determined to be a Rockmite 20m CW kit (already built) from an SK estate sale.

It has been sitting on my desk at work while I focus on other projects, but it is usually the first thing people ask about when they come into my office. Usually, they'll set it down right as I mention CW or "Morse".

The latest issue of QST (May 2012) had an article about using an Android Smartphone for PSK31. I had an extra phone that didn't have service, but I could still use the wireless and such, and thought this would be a perfect thing to try out. I brought the phone to work and set it next to the Rockmite while I was looking for parts for the PSK31 circuit.

When I looked over and saw the Rockmite and the phone together, I thought that was the perfect combination. Not only could I tell people about the Rockmite kit, but I could show them in a way that made sense to them (smartphones) by flipping it all on and letting them see words form, and even transmit from the phone.

Therein lies the rub.

I have a simple circuit that will key the Rockmite when a tone comes out of the phone's headphone jack, and I can wire the mic connector on the same jack to the Rockmite's earphone jack...the piece I'm missing is the software.

All of the Android CW apps I've found are mostly CW readers and/or Trainers. So, I can either have a screen up that lets me send CW, or another screen that lets me "read" CW. I'm looking for an app that works like the PSK apps where I can watch words form and type on the same screen.

I can't be the first guy to think of this, and I think this would be a great way to demonstrate the "cool-ness" of Ham radio without overwhelming folks, and it would also be a fun thing to take camping

I guess an equally cool thing to do might be to change the Rockmite frequency to the 20M PSK call freq? (plan b?)

Let me know your thoughts, I think it'd be a hoot.

Thanks!
    -Ed-
    KJ6BGS

I love the android apps. There is one called Androidomatic or AKA. I just wish I had an hf setup of SOME KIND but soon I hope I will. I have been trying to come up with a way to convert my code practice oscillator to some form of real key. It has a place for wires but they must connect to another of the same CPO... I would like to be able to plug the CPO into my phone for use with these apps. I am just not too sure what I can do yet..or want to do even.

Talking

Oooh the changing the Rockmite could be cool yes, but there are some concerns I would guess regarding filtering. I am not too sure but then again, if the CW filter on the Rockmite is too wide for it, DroidPSK has its own filters. Just thought I would mention it before I forgot.