Callsign
ad: elecraft
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: does a Kenwood TM-V71A cover 978MHz and 1090MHz?

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-innov
ad: l-Heil
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-rl
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-WarrenG

Contribute
to QRZ

Default does a Kenwood TM-V71A cover 978MHz and 1090MHz?

I don't currently own this radio but am looking into it (for multiple applications, not just amateur radio). I have downloaded the owner's manual and it does say that it covers 800-1300MHz (cellular excluded). What I'm not sure of is if the "cellular excluded" portion of the receive would block out 978MHz and 1090MHz. can anybody who has this radio please advise?

If your non-amateur radio use only involves receiving, then no problem. If your non-amateur radio use involves transmitter, BIG problem!

Certificated (new "buzz word" for "type accepted") radios are required by the FCC for transmitting on frequencies other than those covered by 47 CFR Part 97 ("Amateur Radio Service"). Failure to comply can result in penalties including:

Fines of up to $11,000 per day per radio during which transmissions were made.

Confiscation of the equipment.

Loss of your amateur radio operator's license and not being able to have another one for your entire life!

In certain cases imprisonment (means "go to jail").

Since you possess an amateur radio operator's license the FCC considers you to have the knowledge of the various regulations concerning the legal, and illegal, operation of transmitting equipment and, therefore, will "come down harder" on you than it would if you did not have an amateur radio operator's license.

It is the general policy of QRZ.com NOT to offer information concerning how to illegally use amateur radio equipment. Again, if you need the information just for receiving purposes, no problem. However, if for transmitting then that is a completely different matter.

Glen, K9STH

I would contact Kenwood to see if the radio will receive on those specific frequency ranges. Obviously, transmitting is not possible or legal on non-Amateur frequencies, as stated above. (Chances are, the radio wouldn't EVER be able to transmit on those frequencies no matter WHAT modifications are claimed on the Internet; the transmit circuitry is quite specific to the Amateur bands, and can't accommodate wide variations.)
    Kenwood would be able to provide the most accurate information based on the design of the radio, You may get a MHz or two coverage above or below what Kenwood states merely due to component tolerances in your individual radio, but the information from Kenwood will be the only accurate place fro information on your radio.

AB1OD Guest

I don't know about the V71A, but the D710 B-side VFO will happily tune in 978 and 1090 MHz. IIRC, the V71A and D710 function pretty much the same, aside from the D710 having a TNC.

As noted above, even if modified, the rig and the FCC would probably be rather unhappy if you attempted to transmit on those frequencies.

Are you trying to decode ADS-B?

Quote Originally Posted by K9STH View Post
    If your non-amateur radio use only involves receiving, then no problem. If your non-amateur radio use involves transmitter, BIG problem!

Certificated (new "buzz word" for "type accepted") radios are required by the FCC for transmitting on frequencies other than those covered by 47 CFR Part 97 ("Amateur Radio Service"). Failure to comply can result in penalties including:

Fines of up to $11,000 per day per radio during which transmissions were made.

Confiscation of the equipment.

Loss of your amateur radio operator's license and not being able to have another one for your entire life!

In certain cases imprisonment (means "go to jail").

Since you possess an amateur radio operator's license the FCC considers you to have the knowledge of the various regulations concerning the legal, and illegal, operation of transmitting equipment and, therefore, will "come down harder" on you than it would if you did not have an amateur radio operator's license.

It is the general policy of QRZ.com NOT to offer information concerning how to illegally use amateur radio equipment. Again, if you need the information just for receiving purposes, no problem. However, if for transmitting then that is a completely different matter.

Glen, K9STH
    I'm asking for receive only purposes

Quote Originally Posted by AB5ID View Post
    Yes.

Sorry I didn't reply to this thread sooner. I just got off work. My verizon flip phone only allows me to read the forum but I can't post.

The only cellular stuff in that range is in the 800 mhz range. Nothing from 900-1200 MHz is cellular, at least in the USA.
    We cannot tax our way to prosperity.

Quote Originally Posted by K7JEM View Post
    The only cellular stuff in that range is in the 800 mhz range. Nothing from 900-1200 MHz is cellular, at least in the USA.
    Thanks K7JEM. I should be able to receive then.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by AB5ID View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KD7HGK View Post
    Yes.
    You won't due to bandwidth. (1,2 MHz at 978).

But we might be able to do it soon with the "cheap SDR" (8$ TDT-USB that reaches up to 1.9 GHz with 3 MHz bandwidth).

Anyways, the V71 is a great performing radio.

Eduardo

Quote Originally Posted by EA4TA View Post
    You won't due to bandwidth. (1,2 MHz at 978).

But we might be able to do it soon with the "cheap SDR" (8$ TDT-USB that reaches up to 1.9 GHz with 3 MHz bandwidth).

Anyways, the V71 is a great performing radio.

Eduardo
    I'm sorry. I don't know what you mean. The computer program I plan on using to decode ADS-B is Radarbox http://www.airnavsystems.com/radarbox/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast