ad: l-assoc
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-rl
ad: l-innov
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-Waters

Default Astron Power Supply

I own an Astron RS-20A power supply that I use to power my ICOM 735 and some of my VHF rigs. The red on-off rocker switch has gone bad. I cannot find any serial number on my switch (only thing I can discern is "Made in Mexico" on it). There are numbers on it related to different countries (e.g. UK, FR, IT) but no U.S. number. I tried to match any number on the switch I could find with all of the rocker switches in the Mouser Electronics catalog. Seems they have every rocker switch known to man (oops, or woman). Astron Corp. has not responded to me. Guess I am small potatoes. Until I can replace the switch I have am QRT. Can anybody give me a valid part number, or where I can purchase the switch? I would suspect that the only place I can get it is Mouser. Probably not Radio Shack!! I suspect that every Astron power supply uses the same rocker switch (at least the RS series anyway). Would appreciate any help you could provide. Thanks. Dave, WA6TXU.

I own an Astron RS-20A power supply that I use to power my ICOM 735 and some of my VHF rigs. The red on-off rocker switch has gone bad.
    Dave -

The NEON bulb in the rocker switch has burned out. Neon bulbs typically have a ~ 20,000 hour life.

Very SIMPLE replacement, these illuminated rocker switches used by Astron fit the
    North American Appliance STANDARD "Snap-In" rectangular cutout !!!!
    Appliance industry uses primarily white trim, while radio and electronics mfg. use the black trim.

Be a SMART shopper, I have seen these switches sell from $3 to $12 !!
    Some electrical supply houses/distributors "mark up" these switches!!

Specifically, Astron uses the Carling LR-series "Curvette" illuminated rocker switches.
    http://rocker-switches.carlingtech.c...switch__30.asp

Go to Page 294 in the GC Electronics catalog, Figure 8 :
    http://www.gcelectronics.com/order/S...%20290-297.pdf

GC Waldom Electronics part number: 35-3740
    GC Electronics is available at many retail electronics stores.
    This GC part is the Carling switch, in deep red.

Dark Ruby Red Color (NEON/120 VAC)

DO NOT use the non-standard Radio Shack switches
    (I have repaired far too many bad idiot hacks)
    ==
    BTW You should have ACK Electronics (Birmingham & Atlanta) on your speed dial for these easy parts!
    ACK is a GC Electronics retailer -- call them!
    http://www.acksupply.com/

w9gb

BTW I keep this switch in my standard repair parts inventory!!
    Last edited by W9GB; 05-01-2012 at 02:48 AM.
    Nullius in verba

There is more of a problem here. When I push the rocker, the light comes on (but I have to keep it pressed for the light to stay on). However, when I let go of the switch, the rocker switch springs back, and the light goes out. The switch does not stay in the on position. I turned on the rig while keeping the switch pushed to the on position (with bulb lit) and still no power to the rig. I release the rocker and the switch returns to the off position. It is like flipping a circuit breaker in your house and it keeps returning to the position from which you flipped it (like a short somewhere in the system is over-riding the circuit breaker). Haven't seen anything shorting out in the power supply, so that returns me to the belief that it is a bad switch. It just suddenly happened a few nights ago with no warning. Therefore, since the neon lamp goes on when I keep the rocker depressed, I would say that it is not a bulb issue, but rather a problem with the switch itself. Thank you for the sources for a compatible switch. I am not sure I clarified the problem, but I hope so. Dave. WA6TXU.

I would say that it is not a bulb issue, but rather a problem with the switch itself. Thank you for the sources for a compatible switch. I am not sure I clarified the problem, but I hope so. Dave. WA6TXU.
    Really does not matter -- your switch is BAD and you need a new switch.
    You know where to call to order it (or drive and pick-up) OR have it shipped.
    Nullius in verba

Appreciate your help Greg. I will order a switch tomorrow. One important thing I should have mentioned in my last post was that even with the power supply unplugged , the rocker switch would not stay in the ON position. Agreed, no short, just a bad switch. Again, thanks for all of your help. Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by WA6TXU View Post
    I will order a switch tomorrow.
    While you're waiting for the replacement switch, short across the bad switch (and leave the PS on) until the replacement arrives.

Astron used this Carling number: LRA211-RW-B/125N (Translucent Pale Red, Black trim, 125V neon)
    for the North American 120 VAC units, a Carling switch with 240 VAC neon is used for Rest of World.
    http://www.carlingtech.com/pdf/CarlingSW_LRA.pdf

GC Electronics 35-3740 should be: LRA211-CR-B/125N (Clear Red), or LRA211-RS-B/125N (Translucent Red)

IF you are ordering from Mouser, they carry BOTH styles:

Mouser Catalog Page - Carling Rocker Switches
    http://www.mouser.com/MobileCatalog.aspx?page=1837

LRA211-CR-B/125N (Clear Red)
    http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...lmQnop5PKx0%3d

LRA211-RS-B/125N (Translucent Red)
    http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...gvLJ3bL8L5I%3d

===
    BTW This same switch is used in 1980s Weller WTCPN, WTCPR power units.
    Last edited by W9GB; 05-01-2012 at 05:59 PM.
    Nullius in verba

Hi Greg,
    Thanks for the info. I ordered my rocker switch today. You have been a great help. Dave.

It SHOULD be obvious, but the switch doesn't really need to be illuminated to work. A simple SPST rocker switch WILL function properly, and most of us have the supply shoved in a corner where we never even notice the illuminated switch!

But be careful about advice concerning shorting the present, defective switch, on the off chance there's an additional problem with the supply. If you DO short the switch, unplug the supply first (DUH!) and it would be wise to plug the supply into a power strip and use the power strip as an "ON-OFF" switch. That way, if there's an additional failure in the supply, the circuit breaker in the power strip should trip before catastrophic failure. (Keep ALL equipment off or disconnected when you first re-power the supply, until you determine it's functioning properly (save for the faulty switch.)

Thanks Larry. I have ordered a new switch, and since it should get here in a few days, I don't think I will short the current switch, just to get on the air. As you said, there is a possibility that something else in the power supply could have caused the switch to go bad in the first place. The new switch was only $2 (plus a significant shipping cost from Mouser). But when you are in West Georgia, you do a lot of on-line shopping. Hi. Dave, WA6TXU.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast