ad: l-assoc
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-rl
ad: l-innov
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-WarrenG

Default Mobile 5 watts on 40m today

FYI: Driving to work this morning, made contact and checked in with the Rocky Mountain RV Service Net (7.184) using my mobile rig, FT-817 (5 watts) and a 40M Hamstick on the car roof. Love those low power mobile contacts! Location was driving southbound on I-25 between Pueblo and Colorado Springs.

73, Mike
    KG7UFO

I've done 20m PSK-31 mobile with my 817 -- fun stuff.

If every things jives just right, it is possible to reach around the world with as little as 10 milliwatts of ERP. While working DX seemingly appears to be the measure of antenna efficiency, it is, alas, not!
    Alan Applegate, KBG
    http://www.k0bg.com

Checked into the 40M net again this morning with my 5 watt mobile and Hamstick, and held a extended QSO with the net control, about 600 miles from me. Life is good when there is contact!

73, Mike
    KG7UFO

LOVE running my '817 in the car with the hamstick. Have had lots of fun contacts with that on 40 and 20. Makes it easy when there's no need for heavy-duty wiring from the battery.

Under the right conditions you can do much better. It's good that you were able to do that and it would be an interesting test to see if you can do that reliably. That's the true test. Having constant and definiate contact when you need it is the goal. Trying to work the bands with 5W is interesting and fun but it has it's limitations and often timing is the most important factor. Maybe you found a pipeline to net control and that can be maintained at all times. There is the possibility the net control station had a good enough setup to pull you out and make the contact. Did you contact other stations as a test? How well did you do?
    BTW 600 miles on 5W isn't even close to what can be accomplished. Keep working.
    Have fun
    Gary

I worked Yemen QRP SSB on 17m on 5/6/12 at 02:42 utc on 2nd call at home lucky....BUT the conditions have to be right your not going to do those everyday I also worked HK0 on 4 bands SSB QRP and all bands SSB except 6m QRO. I really enjoy QRP have 2 rigs at this time an IC-703 Plus with the W4RT duel filter setup and a Elecraft K2 recently upgraded to a 100w rig but still used mostly for QRP the 100w being for Field Day use.

It's all probigation always has been always will be. I work 2 nets a day one on 40m here in NA and one 20m for ZL,VK and of all places South Africa. A strange net for 3 areas but all on nightly here in US about 06:00-08:30 utc most nights. Keep up the QRP mobile contacts your doing great you might consider setting up some better antennas at home and having a go at some real DX there.

I run JT65HF daily QRP never over 5w and a lot of the time down to .5w. I check for probigation using WSPR and 2w a lot of the time when I'm in the shack using a vertical.
    73 de Fred N0AZZ

The License is Only Your Starting Point in Radio!
    MVDX/CC of SW MO., DX Hogs, OARS, NARC, NCDXF
    ARRL member, ARRL and W5YI VE
    DX the thrill of the chase

""D-STAR making use of the 2/ 440m repeaters for real world Digital Voice usage around town and around the world""

" Not one of us can do what all of us can do " ** Max Lucado

My best low power voice contact was from Colorado to the Cook Islands, using 50mW into a Hamstick attached to the back of my three speed bicycle.

73, Mike
    KG7UFO

Oops, I meant 500mW (.5 W).

Right place, right time and right conditions= Contacts.
    Have fun
    Gary

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast