Callsign
ad: W2RE-1

Thread: Sucess at last....I can hear now!

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-rl
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-innov
ad: l-Heil
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-WarrenG

Contribute
to QRZ

Default Sucess at last....I can hear now!

I traded out my old TS-50 for a Yeasu 857 and Atas 120 in my big rig and just had a horrible time with engine noise.
    I tried several different mounts, I spent days running braid, and got a little better but not much.
    I finally gave up on the ATAS 120 , bought a 14.95 mfj 20 meter ham stick at HRO and LDG YT-100 tuner. Also added a mix31 toroid choke at the base of the antenna and I can Hear!!!! My noise is very low now....all I used is the noise blanker for some popping from the injectors.
    Think I might try a Hustler as I had pretty good luck with them in the past...How-ever at 14.95 I'm pretty happy with this MFJ Stick.

Alan K0BG I have to thanks you for your very helpful web-site. I just wish I found it before I dropped 3 Bills on this POS ATAS 120

Steve KE7IHG
    Once in a man's life you should have a good dog, a good horse and a good woman.
    The trick is to get them all together at the same time.:D

Wonderful WYOMING, Accept no substitutes.

Congrats!!

Being able to hear is so much better than not.

Brad
    "Life is just like ridin' broncs, its a battle". Chris ledoux

Long live Steamboat

Hearing is highly overrated. You need to learn how to work your radio through your mental powers and sense what is being said. With a bit more practice you can contact people without using the radio. It's totally awesome.
    It's time for my medication now.
    Have fun
    Gary

Hi Steve,
    Was wondering how your radio system was mounted as well as the antenna? I have owned the ATAS 120 with the 857D and initially had some issues with it, until someone showed me the best way to mount the radio, run its power cables and install the antenna properly. Now Im not saying you didn't do this right. But I can attest that when I had similar problems I definitely didn't do it right.

Diesels do present several problems with any radio installation, cause of the ignition system. So the radio power wires should be run to a power distribution panel a (a good one, not just a connection one) rather than directly to the battery or worse yet to an already existing power wires in the truck.
    Once the radio is connected , the ATAS 120 then needs to be installed properly and grounded properly. If the ground on the place where you are installing it is sufficient, you shouldn't have a problem, I have quite a few friends who drive big rigs and they were installing their antennas like CBers on the gutter mounts of mirrors and so forth and there is very little grounding there, straps won't help. Some were installing it on the top portion of the cabs and there was also very little or no grounding at all. Again straps won't help. A friend of mine, was able to install his where his GPS AVL system was installed on that same bracket. That was actually grounded great..

Im not criticizing anything you did, so please don't take it that way. But Ive run across many who had problems with the ATAS 120 and helped them get it to work, since like you said they dished out over$300 bucks for one. The antenna does work and works very well. But the installation of both the antenna and the radio is critical like any installation in getting the system to work.

By the way , I don't work for yaesu, nor get paid in any way by them or have any type of interest other than helping a fellow ham like many have helped me.

Good luck

George
    N2ZNC

Ignition noise mostly enters the radio through the power cable not through the antenna. While the antenna certainly is noisy anyway like most verticals most of the noise does come from through the power cables.

I wonder why everyone thinks mobile antenna mounts need to be grounded. They don't! That said, the ground plane needs to be consistent with the base of the antenna, and the coax shield should be solidly connected at that point as well. Anything else is superfluous. And, if adding a ground strap from the antenna's mounting structure to some hard point on the body of the vehicle, cures some problem (whatever it is), then something else in the installation was amiss.
    Alan Applegate, KBG
    http://www.k0bg.com

I wasn't straping the antenna.....Was just tying the cab to the frame and the engine to the frame.
    I sure the mount isn't the best, but on This truck it was the only place were I could mount it and not have it in my way while I work.
    I'm sure there might be a way to make the 120 work....but I'm tired of working on it.
    Besides I worked WV from Central Oregon today on 20....I'll stick with the hamstick for now.

Now for my medication.....MGD
    Last edited by KE7IHG; 05-06-2012 at 04:11 AM. Reason: need to proofread
    Once in a man's life you should have a good dog, a good horse and a good woman.
    The trick is to get them all together at the same time.:D