ad: l-Waters
ad: l-AmericanRadio
ad: l-rl
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-innov
ad: l-BCInc
ad: l-gcopper

Default One Radio Two Antennas

Need to replace the Diamond C-8900 which my Yaesu FT-8900 currently drives. It's badly beat up and pretty well shot. It's also not mounted in a convenient spot ... gotta fold it over everytime I open the backdoor on the Jeep!

Have been considering using two antennas ... one for 6 meter and 10 meter and another for 2 meter and 70 centimetre.

Wondering if anyone out there has done this and (if you have) how it has worked out. Antenna switch vs. diplexer, etc.

Any feedback welcome.

Thanks in advance!

There is nothing wrong with diplexers, and the loss through them is all but nil. Finding one with the band combination you're looking for is the only issue.

As for the switches..... Don't!
    Alan Applegate, KBG
    [URL="http://www.k0bg.com"]http://www.k0bg.com[/URL]

It's going to be hard to find a 6m/10m dual band antenna. I have the Diamond CR627B which is a 2m/6m/440 triband antenna with my Ft8900R and it works very well from my experience. That will cover 3 bands then you would only need a dedicated 10m antenna, the trick is splitting the bands from the radio, as most of the diplexers will have 6/10 on 1 output.

If you get the CR627B then the Diamond MX-610 will work just fine. HRO has them. Here are the details; http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-006828.
    If you still want to use a 10/6 meter antenna and a 2 meter/ 70cm antenna then the Diamond MX-62M will work. You can get them here;http://www.rfparts.com/diamond/mx62m.html (Actually this is just the information. HRO has the MX-62M).
    Hope this helps
    Gary
    Last edited by KO6WB; 04-30-2012 at 05:20 AM.

Cool, that would cure all my ham frequency trouble, now how to figure out how to pass the 800mhz for my local law enforcement.. Probably more antennas a diplexer and a triplexer. Everything is sooo complicated. Just kidding

I used a Diamond MX610 diplexer, one port 1.3-30MHz, one port 49-470MHz. Available from Universal Radio.

By the way, I've come up with an untried way of running four individual antennas:

-Output of the FT-8900 and run it to the input of a Diamond MX-610 Diplexer.
    This has 2 outputs, 1.3-30MHz and 49-470MHz. Attach your 10m antenna to this
    port.

-Attach the 49-470MHz port of the MX-610 to a Comet CFX-514J Triplexer. This
    triplexer has three outputs for 6m,2m, and 70cm.

The outputs of this triplexer are SO-239's so you can plug the PL-259's from the
    antenna mounts directly into the triplexer eliminating any lossy gender
    changers. The only jumper you'll need is from the FT-8900 to the input of the
    MX-610.

By the way, I'd exercise caution if you're using the 627B triband antenna on a roof mount configuration. The "whip" is made from a very stiff spring steel, and does not yield easily to overhanging branches. I could see it easily being torn out of the thin sheet metal roof of today's vehicles. That's where mine are located, and I had second thoughts after screwing it onto the NMO mount. Diamond use to sell a tribander known as the SG-M911 which was very light, and whippy. It was ideal for roof mounts, and I used one for years. They're no longer made, but perhaps someone might have old stock laying around.
    Last edited by K3GM; 04-30-2012 at 01:53 PM.

Ive been using the UHV-4 from comet from years. Its a great antenna, and covers all 4 bands. It was actually marketed specifically for the 8900 which Ive had since they made it. Now granted the antenna is rather large, putting on top of my tahoe, means the tips is pretty high. By the way mine is mounted on a tri-mag mount which is super powerful and holds that thing at significant wind hmmm.... highway speeds.
    Now it does have its downfall. Its big...the 10meter part of it will sometimes break cause of tree branches etc. but its a great performer and easily folds over by loosing up the bottom mechanism. I actually keep a spare 10 meter portion which is about 10inches in the truck. Ive broken about 3 of them in the past 8yrs. The 10m and 6 m portion is tunable , pretty narrow but does a great job.

Just a thought.

george
    N2ZNC