ad: TinyPaddle-1

RFinder for Apple iPhone/iPad/iPod has been released!!!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W2CYK, Apr 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. W2CYK

W2CYK Ham Member QRZ Page

For immediate release...
    4/29/2012
    From the desk of W2CYK

After many requests from our users we are pleased to announce the official release the next platform release of RFinder - The World Wide Repeater Directory (WWRD). It is available for immediate download from the Apple App Store.

RFinder already runs on Android and http://web.rfinder.net. The World Wide Repeater Directory is also accessible from RTSystems radio programmers and via CHIRP on Windows, Linux and Macintosh with the same user/password you use on handheld devices. Our goal is to have the WWRD accessible from most pervasive platforms. To that end Windows Phone and Symbian versions are in development and slated for release this summer. The web version has been tested and works on Blackberry.

We plan to have a data file download for Garmin and TomTom GPS devices from RFinder/Web sometime Fall of 2012.

FrontScreen.jpg Override.jpg RDetail.jpg RList.jpg CallsignLookup.jpg

2. KJ6CM

KJ6CM Ham Member QRZ Page

It doesn't tell you that its an annual fee!

3. N4FNB

N4FNB QRZ Member QRZ Page

$9.99 is not bad, less than the cost of a magazine. :cool:

4. W2CYK

5. WD8FM

WD8FM Ham Member QRZ Page

He might of been talking about this front page ad on QRZ. That could have been mentioned with the QRZ post (fee).

6. KD7SJT

KD7SJT Ham Member QRZ Page

Do to the fact that there is a significant fee involved, not only to buy the app, but the annual fee associated with it too, why would I do this when I can do one of two things, buy a repeater directory from ARRL, or do a google search for repeaters in my local area. The latter of which, doesn't cost me a dime. It's hard to get excited about this when my pocket has to fork up cash. I'll pass.

7. W2CYK

Pass away!

This is cheaper than the paper directory ($12/year for the paper directory), GPS enabled, accessible from nearly any computing device available, accessible from RTSystems radio programmers, Linux, Windows, Mac (lookup CHIRP) AND Web for the same $9.99, gives you map visualizations, exports data for an area, allows you to update errors and/or changes to your local machines and add new repeaters (try to update the paper directory). Why is it better to pay more for the paper directory? It's not GPS enabled. Seems counter-intuitive to me.

Just take a few minutes and try to search for repeaters in France or Finland. Try to find machines in ZL or Tasmania. Better yet, try to look those up in the paper directory!

I would bet you wasted 10 bucks on something this week. It's cheaper than one day of smoking for the year. It may have been cheaper than lunch today.

73's

Bob

8. N8NOE

N8NOE Ham Member QRZ Page

http://www.freqfinder.com/
    $9.99 and updated regular, ZERO annual Fee........
    I have even submitted new Repeaters and almost immediate reply.....

9. W2CYK

Jeff...

Thanks for your comments...

In any good business model there is competition...The software you mentioned from what i see is US only. That data is available in a variety of free sources.

The announcement here was about The World Wide Repeater Directory, not another US repeater directory.

You are getting immediate access to your update and add requests because they are most likely not being checked.

Each add/update request from any platform of RFinder is checked by a human for accuracy before it goes live. Updates go live Monday mornings 1AM UTC.

Nice DX stats! We operated PJ4S last week..did you work us?

73's

Bob

10. WA2SI

WA2SI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Keep up the great work, Bob. Both my son and I have this on our Android phones and it works FB! My daughter just switched over to and iPhone not too long ago so your timing is impeccable. It is a good value and a great bang for the buck. Many will want free apps/service and that is human nature, I suppose. However, having worked in IT for approx. 16 years and knowing firsthand the effort that goes into development & support, I think it's a great deal.

Agn, keep up the good work.

Vy 73 de Bert
    WA2SI

11. W2CYK

TX Bert! The support of our rapidly growing user community speaks for itself...I appreciate the support of your Ham family!!!

Thanks my friend for the kind words!

I didn't see you in the PJ4S log ;)...I was so busy on phone I didn't pull out a key!

73's..

Bob

12. WD8FM

WD8FM Ham Member QRZ Page

Well if I was in France, Finland, ZL, or Tasmania, I dont think I would be looking for a repeater. I think I would have much better things to do.

13. NA9J

NA9J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have the product on my Adroid phone and am very happy with it. So I will not have to repay to download and run on my iPad?
    Thanks and 73,
    John NA9J

14. AB5RM

AB5RM Ham Member QRZ Page

Telling a potential customer who is not yet sold and thinks he will pass, to "PASS AWAY" implies a level of arrogance that my not be intended, but was certainly felt.

15. W2CYK

LOL not how it was meant! I was telling him to pass if he wants to...but thats actually a funny entendre!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.