ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-innov
ad: l-Heil
ad: l-tentec

Contribute
to QRZ

Default run staton off generator

The easy and effective way around replacing the generator would be using a simple automotive battery charger and a few car batteries in parallel.
    Running your rigs from the batteries to have a stable voltage source no matter if the generator hiccups to a brief low voltage. The batteries are charging when you are not transmitting !
    Lighting can run off the ac from the generator.
    I Would think most modern radios run off 12VDC and at home you have to use the AC supply to convert your house AC voltage to 12 V anyway.
    Innefficient to run from poorly regulated generator to ACPS to rig, but the batteries here give you solid voltage regulation no matter what the generator is doing, as long as the average AC voltage is correct..
    73.....JD, FISTS #3853,cc 455,SKCC # 1395,tribune #12,
    Official US Taxpayer

Ok this afternoon did some more looking into it and have figured out that the gen was not calibrated right from the factory or some other way. Turned up a little to get the voltage right and the hertz to 60. Added a apc voltage reg/conditoner and I'm happy with the out come now. Didnt have to buy the apc forgot we already had one. Cant wait to try out camping this weekend.

OK after using this setup for a couple of days. I have shifted over to the battery idea, from k8jd. I think you pay for what you get when it comes to a generator for sure now lol. I feel I will have a lot more safety for the rig running off a deep cycle marine battery. I have been looking into a smart charger at walmart. 10/6/2 amp that should be better on the battery then the charger built in the generator. And still should be able to have some room for lights. Can I run the rig with the charger on the battery is my question now? I know it may create rf but will the charger strain if its in use?

Leaving the battery should not be a problem, A good battery will filter the ripple. RF could be a issue, but probably not.

Most of the generators are about 10 Amps out on the DC charge connection, and would work as well as a Smart Charger.

A Smart charger is good, If you plan on continuously charging for days.
    "Theory only works perfect in a vacuum." KA9JLM Don

I may have missed it , it seems you left out a lot of info ?
    How much of a load are you pulling with your setup ?
    About 30 yrs. ago they started BSing us with ratings , the large number [ on generator ] used to be the continuous rating and the small number was the surge , its average that 1000 watt generators have a continuous rating of 850 watt .
    Most generators , except for low RPM commercial rigs , reduce RPM when the load is low , so just that could be your issue , again detailed info ?
    So with almost any generator out there [ except the commercial low RPM ] you need to provide at least a min. load to keep the RPMs up & voltage steady , this assumes your garage sale goody is in operating condition .
    So back info on the station in question , what rig , will it run on 13.8 volts , did you have a power supply in line , measure what the draw in the generator is with the complete station .
    A battery back-up is good to keep all your gear from having issues with vary voltage / outage , the only issue may be not keeping voltage at the rig / PS at 13.8 , not 12 volts .
    Of course to avoid all kinds of issues stay far away from chineez / walmart gunk , many reasons .

Quote Originally Posted by KA9JLM View Post
    Leaving the battery should not be a problem, A good battery will filter the ripple. RF could be a issue, but probably not.

Most of the generators are about 10 Amps out on the DC charge connection, and would work as well as a Smart Charger.

A Smart charger is good, If you plan on continuously charging for days.
    I screwed up on my post.

I meant to say Leaving the battery on the charger should not be a problem.

The fact that a battery will be around 12.5 volts Cold when loaded down, The voltage can get marginal for a radio if not continuously charged. Depends on the radio.

Wal-Mart stuff not made in the USA ? lol. They went to selling junk just as soon as the old man died.

I bought a 1200 watt 120 volt inverter at Wal-Mart for a good price for use with a deep cycle battery during Hurricanes.

The Inverter low voltage shutdown caused it to be unusable when the battery got around 12 Volts.
    Most Inverters are made to be used with a automobile running and the battery being charged.

Batteries are nice, and charging them off of a generator is the berries during Hurricanes, or other power outage.

In this area they run the nice generators on Natural Gas.
    "Theory only works perfect in a vacuum." KA9JLM Don

Again multiple issues , most charges drop off to a trickle charge current after the regulator sees battery voltage a full charge of 12.75 volts , the problem with leaving battery on most chargers , the trickle charge will boil off water , especially on smaller batteries .
    Most inverters is a misnomer , until recently with the flood of chineez junk , most inverters were high power quality either in commercial applications or alternative energy , these were intended to be used with lower voltage limits and incorporated battery boosters = sacrifice current to bring up voltage .
    Some time you can trick some of the cheeper gear with simple fixes , like using a light bulb [ the watt size of bulb depends on the details of what you have ] on the generator to keep some demand to keep RPM / voltage up .
    There different types of conditioners , some limit high spikes and some have capacitors to help with low spikes .

Its a 2 cycle 1000w generator 800w continuous Rig ft450 jet stream switching ps even when running, it would be so back and forth on voltage 114-125. So I thought a apc voltage regulator would fix it and it some what did. But the thing would be clicking like crazy because the voltage would rise and fall. Got me thinking I should just go get a deep cycle batter 109ah and the charger posted above. I just cant understand how long this will run the rig on full output and the charge time it will take to recharge. Also can the rig run with the battery on the charger so there is no down time? This all started as a camping set up to get ready for field day but has turned into a head ache. I was reading on arrl about 1000w gen would power radio light and laptop? isnt working that way for me.

Quote Originally Posted by WD4OOZ View Post
    Most generators have 2 ratings. A 1000 watt maximum (surge) and a continous rating of 550 watts. (for example) When the generator continuous rating is exceeded the voltage output will drop just like you have described, and will not return until the load is removed or disconnected. Some generators have an automatic disconnect that allows the generator to recover before reconnecting the load. Test your generator with a continuous load starting around 200 watts with 2x 100 watt light bulbs. Let the generator run for 15 to 20 min and then add another 100 w light bulb until you reach the wattage that causes the generator voltage to start dropping. You now know what output wattage level that your generator is capable of handling on a continuous load. I suspect your setup overloaded the generator. To keep a constant load on the generator you may want to use it to charge a battery and then connect your equipment to the battery. Your battery charger will provide a more constant load on the generator than your rig will. Living in SE Florida for 30 plus years I have 3 generators at different outputs so I can use the smallest generator for the application needed. This saves gas and a lot of money...

WD4OOZ
    This is what I thought of - that rating is peak, which is probably 5 seconds. Depending on the design, the derating might be 700 to 750 watts, and if it's really cheap, yea 650? My FT-2000D would exceed the rating of the generator in continuous use. A power supply charging a battery and operating a rig might well be too much, throw in a computer and UPS? I think you have too little power maybe.

Failing that, it may be a mechanical issue - hard to tell without much more data.
    This Space Intentionally Left Blank

My experience with a cheap Chinese generator was a "900 Watt" unit bought at a local chain, Meijer, for ~$100. I ran a normal PS off it into a deep cycle battery, and connected that to the rig and a Xantrex XS400 inverter to run a lamp and a desktop computer for when the AC power went off. That was for FD; when the generator ran out of fuel the rig and computer kept going. Could have used a laptop computer for better duration overall, but the one I'd intended to use suffered a case of pen-on-keyboard (smashed screen) disease. I use a similar setup (with a charger not generator) in my Shack to keep one rig and the main computer going during power interruptions.

About 1963 tried running a Lafayette receiver off a 300 watt palm-sized generator. That old tube radio loaded the genset down and it was very (audibly) noisy but worked; the receiver wasn't very stable to begin with and not much worse on the generator.

Cortland
    KA5S

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast