ad: Flexradio-1

Free iPhone/Android APP Web Based

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KY5U, Apr 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

Most folks on QRZ know about this app, but I thought I'd post this for those that take news feeds off of QRZ.COM. You can access it from any smart phone browser at http://mobile.ky5u.net . The text below describes the functionality of the programs associated with the app.

General

KY5U Mobile Assets (KMA) is a collection of HTML/HTML5/Javascript Apps designed to be used by Amateur Radio operators on smart phones. It consists of a home page/desktop of icons that may be clicked or touched (on smartphones) to initiate the individual apps. KMA is brand independent for phones/tablets so it may be used regardless of what kind of device you use.

KY5U Mobile Assets Desktop

Access

Access KMA via the World Wide Web at http://mobile.ky5u.net on your device. The main screen and sub-screens are small HTML files residing on a server. These HTML files run local applications or link to applications on the WWW that radio amateurs may find useful.

Apps

The following is a brief description of ther use and functionality of the included applications. Please refer figure 1 above for the type and labeling of icons used. Feel free to email your suggestions for additional applications to the address at the end of this document.

LOOKUP- Powered by Call Info Data, this application allows an amateur radio operator to look up a call sign of another amateur. Included is Name and Address, License Class, Expiration Date and GRID information.

WEBCAM- This application is a live webcam window for KY5U.

WEATHER- Powered by Weather Underground, this application displays a live radar image of the United States. This allows a radio amateur to see weather systems that may effect safe operation. It also includes Frotal Overlay, Rainfall, Wind, and Surface Temp. This will be your one stop view of US weather!

STRIKES- Powered by Intellicast, displays a lightning strike map of the US for use in identifying noise propagation on 40 meters and below.

CONDX- Powered by N0NBH, is a dual display of atmospheric conditions and grey line propagation including flux numbers, flare information and band openings.

ZULU- Powered by DateandTime.com, displays the correct UTC/ZULU time, and offers a list of select cities for time and weather information.

TIMER- An application for use as a ham radio 10 minute ID timer. The timer starts when the page opens and displays an “alert box” every 10 minutes. The timer continues to run whether you acknowledge the alert box or not, thereby keeping the 10 minute interval. To stop the timer, exit the application. Powered by KY5U.

CLUSTER- Powered by K5DX, this application parses the K5DX telnet cluster data and builds an HTML file every 30 seconds. The application refreshes every 30 seconds to display the updated list formatted for the smartphone screen. The underlying collection and formatting software was written by KY5U, and attempts to strip out “crap” messages/comments sent by users. This application is “read only”.

NOTES- Powered by WuFoo.com, this application presents a free text entry box where you may take notes or write contact information. It has a place to enter your email address also. Once completed with your notes, you may press the button “Email Notes to Yourself” which will email your notes to you.

MANUAL- This application allows you to download and read the manuals for the most recent ICOM, Yaesu, an Kenwood amateur Radios. Select the vendor, and you will be presented with the available models. Selecting the rig model will download the PDF manual. The last link on all vendor pages is the vendor's icon, which takes you directly to their web page associated with downloading manuals. This is useful for radio models not listed in the application.

COMPASS- This application allows you to generate a bearing chart of beam headings right on your smartphone to all the DXCC entities by simply entering your zip code. This is powered by The North Jersey DX Association and a link to their website is provided for full functionlity. They have interesting articles and info for DXers.

FIRST AID- This application provides basic first aid information (powered by the Mayo Clinic) to serve as a stop gap measure until help arises. Remember to dial "911" before using this application to activate the 911 System!!

DIPOLE- This application allows you to calculate the length of a dipole. You can calculate each side, the overall length, and based on the wavelength desired. It also allows an offset for end feeding.

NEWS- The latest news headlines from around the world updated 4 times a day. Stay "in the know" about things happening in your hobby as well as breaking news stories and links to full articles.

COAX LOSS- This application is a table of coaxial loss at different frequencies above 30mHz. Loss below 30mHz is negligible in RG-8 and bove cable at or under 200 feet.

ONLINE CALCULATOR- This application is a simple online scientific calculator. If you need one it's here to use. It is written in Javascript and handles basic scientific math functions.

HURRICANE- Track the latest hurricane positions from BOATUS.COM in a single click. Clicking on the map title or the map takes you to the latest teacked storm on www.boatus.com .

Antenna Cable Calc- This is a java aplet to figure loss impedence on a cable. Please note that you must have java aplets turned on in your browser. If you don't you'll only see a picture of the dashboard associated with the page.

Virtual Tuner- Excellent virtual tuner aplet by W9CF that allows you to set or learn the valuse of L/C components needed for a pi network. You need java aplets turned on to use this or you will only see a picture of the dashboard associated swith this app.

IARU Beacons- Powered by KY5U. You can buy hardware, you can buy software, but this world map brings the IARU Beacons to your smartphone. The beacon designator lights up during that beacon's period to transmit. For more info, Google IARU Beacons.

Eliza The Therapist- In the late 70's, one of the first AI programs for the TRS80 and Apple PCs was 'Eliza' which featured a so called computer therapist. The program has been re-written in javascript and modified by KY5U to include ham radio topics.

Tone Generator- Powered by KY5U. This is an audio player for playing tones. You may select a 440Hz, 1000Hz, 2300Hz, or Two Tone Generator. In iOS and Android, touch the play button to start. The files are hyperlinked in case you want to download or your browser does not support HTML5.

Finally

As other applications are developed, they will be added to the desktop and to this document. Comments are welcomed at ky5u(at)bellsouth.net.

KY5U Mobile Assets is a FREE application over the WWW for ham radio operators. All pages are copyrighted by KY5U, Charlie Young, and may not be copied or used in whole or in part without permission. Many of the pages are under copyright protection of other organizations.

2. NC4GP

NC4GP Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

This appears to be a really great resource. Thanks for the hard work. I think I will get a lot of use out of this.

3. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

Check out the two tone generator. Put your phone near your mike and use the audio to tune up on SSB. You'll see an improvement in power when you're on the air over tuning in AM or with a pecker tune feature on an amp. Thanks for your comment!

Note: If the server mobile.ky5u.net is ever down, try http://backup.ky5u.net. It is a redundant server for backup purposes.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  4. K6BIG

K6BIG Ham Member QRZ Page

Great Job...

Adding the Google Mobile Bar Code to this article just seems like a natural step...
    ... then those reading on PC could just hold their phone up and scan to correct URL...

... just a thought

K6BIG

5. W5EN

W5EN Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm glad you did post a link here as this is a new information to me. When I get home this evening I'm going to try tuning the rig with the two tone generator just to see what happens. Ok, I'm weird like that! Thanks again,

73 de W5EN Steve

6. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

Here you go. The QR code for the KY5U App. Great Suggestion.
    -
    -

qrcode.png
    -
    -
    -

Also remember in iOS to click the "page" ICON and "save to home screen" to make the Web App appear as an app on your iPhone/iPad. Android has the same thing although I don't remember offhand how to do it.

7. MM0WKC

MM0WKC Ham Member QRZ Page

This guy seems quite clever... It's a shame he felt that he had to steal his icons from other programs without even so much as a nod to their respective creators.

8. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

The ICONS used were from a free group available on the web by deviantArt. The artist was "Adrenn". I appreciate your concern, but your point is erronious. Thanks!

Last edited: May 2, 2012
  9. K6MKF

K6MKF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've tried this on my iPhone 4. There's obviously a lot of good stuff in here, but the mysterious, animated, rotating and unlabeled icons on the home page are way too clever for me.

When I want to use a function, I want to use it right then and not have to try to remember what symbol represents what app, nor wait for it to come around on the page.

A static home page with icon labels would do a lot to improve this app's UI.

10. KE5EUA

KE5EUA Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I made this observation in another thread. I did a quick search on the deviantArt website and typed quicktime and poped up a bunch of quick time logos.

Just because they are on a website freely available doesn't make them free to use. If SOPA had passed you would have had to take the icons down.

Divix, Steam, VLC, QuickTime, Sonic Media, Open Office, uTorrent. Thats just taking a quick look. The uTorrent is quite obvious.

11. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

Press the menu icon for just such a page.

12. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

EUA,

Yep, you got it all figured out. Thanks!

13. KD0CAC

KD0CAC Ham Member QRZ Page

I am not finding it in the app menu ?
    To load ?
    A friend showed me what looked like a really good app , but it was an android app - not to take away from yours .
    I would like to test drive , I did poke around the site and it looked good , I do have an iPhone .
    Thanks John

P.S. I've been meaning to comment about your picture on the top , is it your kitty :)

14. N2RJ

N2RJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Some of the logos are definitely trademarked such as the Blu-ray logo. I'd suggest using something else.

I like the info but the rotating icons doesn't do it for me. Maybe just mobile formatted links or buttons will be nice.

Something clean like my friend's project: http://m.rabbitears.info

15. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

That's "Fluffy" my sweet little kitty. LOL!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.