ad: l-tentec
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-BCInc
ad: l-rl
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-innov
ad: l-AmericanRadio

Default SDR software for Android?

Does anyone know of SDR software for Android?

How about those little USB TV tuners... they can be used to scan 50MHz-2GHz, with a little software on Android that'd be a neat little setup.

phil KI4VUP

Quote Originally Posted by KI4VUP View Post
    Does anyone know of SDR software for Android?

How about those little USB TV tuners... they can be used to scan 50MHz-2GHz, with a little software on Android that'd be a neat little setup.

phil KI4VUP

I would get a real computer.

Or do a remote connection to a real computer, with the SDR connected to it.

Battery life for a usb tuner would suck.
    "Theory only works perfect in a vacuum." KA9JLM Don

I have a real computer, but I also have to travel without it at times... would be a neat setup.

Quote Originally Posted by KI4VUP View Post
    I have a real computer, but I also have to travel without it at times... would be a neat setup.
    A laptop may be in order.

Phones are play toys.

tablets are getting there, dual core > 1GHz...

I think your biggest issue is the usb controller capabilites of mobile OSs. Android has it in Honeycomb (v 3.1) and possibly ICS (v 4.0), but nothing earlier. I don't think bluetooth would be a viable connection option due to limited bandwith. Also, SDR software is often very taxing on the CPU, on a mobile phone this could cause overheating and damage to components quick since the cooling in mobile devices is all passive. Finally, you'd need software. Unless you write it yourself, I'm not sure anyone is doing it.

A quick Google search brought up some papers about the feasability of using SDR for the radios in our phones, but currently it would require too much CPU and power demands. But in a few years, this could be the next big thing. I think mobile controlled SDR could be in our future in 5-10 years as mobile processing becomes faster, stronger, and more power efficient. Imagine an Altoids box QRP SDR tranceiver doing digital modes with your phone...

Quote Originally Posted by KA9JLM View Post
    Phones are play toys.
    Obviously someone who only uses his pocket computer as a phone. Get used to it, as it'll replace your desktop soon.

I use remote login from my device to control the rig from anywhere I have a wifi hotspot.

552885_404685786211025_328112783868326_1652052_1249999774_n.jpg
    vy 73, de frank, k2ncc

Quote Originally Posted by K2NCC View Post
    Obviously someone who only uses his pocket computer as a phone. Get used to it, as it'll replace your desktop soon.

I use remote login from my device to control the rig from anywhere I have a wifi hotspot.

552885_404685786211025_328112783868326_1652052_1249999774_n.jpg
    I am sure that you are correct.

Right now Battery Power and small size and cpu power do not all go together.

Plus the screen size on a cell phone limits what can be displayed.

Cell phones are Play Toys, when used like a real computer. A Netbook would be better.