ad: l-assoc
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-innov
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-Waters

Default Y mic adapter for older rigs

I'd like to be able to use the voice keyer software I have in some contests I'd otherwise work but still have the need for the microphone for example for contact / serial number, etc. My TS-830 doesn't have any type of auxiliary input making using the keyer impossible most of the time. If one builds their own Y cable - two audio inputs to the radio's mic jack - is it safe to use or would there be a danger of destroying components ? Keyer is software driven and uses SignaLink USB.
    Last edited by N5YPJ; 04-28-2012 at 02:30 PM. Reason: after thought

Quote Originally Posted by N5YPJ View Post
    I'd like to be able to use the voice keyer software I have in some contests I'd otherwise work but still have the need for the microphone for example for contact / serial number, etc. My TS-830 doesn't have any type of auxiliary input making using the keyer impossible most of the time. If one builds their own Y cable - two audio inputs to the radio's mic jack - is it safe to use or would there be a danger of destroying components ? Keyer is software driven and uses SignaLink USB.
    With WriteLog, I can almost go a complete fone contest w/o using the microphone. It will try to concatenate WAV files to build a callsign and it will string sound files together to produce the serial number. If the station is a dupe, it can be programmed to play a different WAV file instead. I can't speak for other programs. The only time I need to use the microphone is if the other station asks me something for which I don't have a Function key programmed. I use a RigBlaster Pro as my interface, which takes care of the "Y" adapter problem.

A 'Y' adapter for microphone input should not blow anything up. The power level is in the millivolt range.

The one thing to check is that your mic would not go 'live' and introduce ambient sounds when the voice keyer is operating. In that case it would be better to make a box with a switch to select the audio source.
    QRZed: "Professional Grade Paranoia From Amateurs"