ad: l-innov
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-Heil
ad: l-tentec

Contribute
to QRZ

Default TUG-8, 10-DA head on Icom IC 740

Recently purchased a 10-da (dynamic) head in good condition to use with my Icom 740. I have been using the old familiar D-104 (xtal) head. No more than the usual troubles so far. Now, I have some concerns, that needs to be allayed. Is there anything that I will need to do to the tug-8 stand or the radio? Whoever put the mic plug on the radio broke off the unused pins. The stand is from 8/75, if the date has any bearing on the circuit.

I think the T-UG8 stands are all the same. It's just a PTT stand with a built-in transistorized preamplifier.

The stand wiring diagram and all else needed are on line multiple places, like here: http://www.barovelli.com/projects/ra...dioastatic.htm
    What if soy milk is just regular milk introducing itself in Spanish?

Quote Originally Posted by KJ4MPT
    Whoever put the microphone plug on the radio broke off the unused pins.
    The stand is from 8/75, if the date has any bearing on the circuit.
    The Icom IC-740 uses the common 8-pin circular "Foster" connector, these are readily available from multiple sources: amateur radio retail stores, like HRO-Atlanta, Heil Sound; Digi-Key; Mouser; eBay, countless Internet stores.

IF the Astatic T-UG8 stand plug, at top of tower, is damaged --
    replacement parts are available from Astatic restorers, such as:
    RB Micro
    http://www.rbmicro.com/index.php?pag...&group=1&cat=1
    Nullius in verba

Thanks for the info. The mic works (as well as a d104 works with an IC740). I am replacing the d104 head with a 10-da super sideband head, which is a dynamic element. What it really is, is that I'm concerned about the need to decouple the 8v phantom power than the stock mic needs from causing harm to the tug-8 stand and/or the 10-da head, or the radio or all of the above. As it is, the setup with the d-104 works. I don't want to assume that it will continue to work with the dynamic head.

W9GB- What had prompted my concern was your reply in this thread: http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php...30-Mic-options
    I have a 1uF tantalum cap on hand, but I'm not sure if it is polarized. Now for the (probably) dumb question of the day....where does the cap go? I must confess my ignorance. Is it inline with pin 1 (which is the white wire) or across pin 1 and pin 7 (braid).

Thanks to all so far.

You shouldn't even need the isolating capacitor with the T-UG8. The T-UG8 preamplifier has its own isolation capacitor between the level control and the (white wire) output line. Adding a 1uF non-polar cap couldn't hurt, but I'm not sure it would be needed. It would go in line with the white wire, not across pins 1 and 7!
    What if soy milk is just regular milk introducing itself in Spanish?

Quote Originally Posted by KJ4MPT
    I have a 1uF tantalum cap on hand, but I'm not sure if it is polarized.
    Now for the (probably) dumb question of the day....where does the cap go?
    Chris -

This is covered in Bob Heil's All Things Icom, scroll to bottom of this page.
    http://heilsound.com/amateur/dspsettings/all_icom.php

As Steve, WIK has already noted, IF you have the Aststic T-UG8 base, with pre-amp still
    properly installed in the base -- then the DC blocking capacitor is not required.
    Last edited by W9GB; 04-28-2012 at 12:58 AM.
    Nullius in verba

Ok, things are much clearer now. Many thanks to both of you. It is a T-UG8 base, functioning as it should. Too little knowledge on my part, leading to much confusion. Thanks again for the info.

You will like the sound of the 10DA head compared to the D104. It has a much mellower sound on SSB. The D104 punches out on AM but, it has too much treble for SSB. If you don't want to mess with it, send it to me. hahaha. I use mine on a IC-718 and get good reports.

Quote Originally Posted by WA7TGT View Post
    You will like the sound of the 10DA head compared to the D104. It has a much mellower sound on SSB. The D104 punches out on AM but, it has too much treble for SSB. If you don't want to mess with it, send it to me. hahaha. I use mine on a IC-718 and get good reports.
    Bingo! That was the whole point of the project. Once I get the impedance matched with the radio, things should be good. This radio doesn't even have AM.