ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-innov
ad: l-Heil

Contribute
to QRZ

Default Best CW Transceiver?

Hi,

I would like to have your opinion as to which set up is the best for CW. Both tube and SS will be considered. Thank you.

The K3 is the best of the current radios
    There are sheep. There are wolves who prey on the sheep. There are sheepdogs who protect the sheep from the wolves. God protect those of us who are sheepdogs.

CW "Only" K3 it seems at this time.
    73 de Fred N0AZZ

The License is Only Your Starting Point in Radio!
    MVDX/CC of SW MO., DX Hogs, OARS, NARC, NCDXF
    ARRL member, ARRL and W5YI VE
    DX the thrill of the chase

""D-STAR making use of the 2/ 440m repeaters for real world Digital Voice usage around town and around the world""

" Not one of us can do what all of us can do " ** Max Lucado

There are many very good CW transceivers out there....but no matter which you may choose , it is nothing without a user who knows how to get the best out of his setup.The most important parts of any setup are the operators ears - and the grey stuff between them.
    Last edited by G4OTU; 04-27-2012 at 11:41 AM. Reason: Awful spelling.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by N0AZZ View Post
    CW "Only" K3 it seems at this time.
    Thank you for replying. May I ask what a CW only K3 is? I thought there is only one spec.

Ponied up to the Bar, with an umbrella in my drink.

Quote Originally Posted by VR2WAR View Post
    Hi,

I would like to have your opinion as to which set up is the best for CW. Both tube and SS will be considered. Thank you.
    "Set up" covers a lot of territory.

Any radio I wanted to use for CW would need at least one narrow (500 Hz +/-) filter in it, amongst many other things.

With that in mind:

Of the radios I've used, I've most enjoyed operating (in no particular order) the Ten Tec Corsair II & the Ten Tec Omni VI+ -- both of which I own -- the Ten Tec Orion, back when my friend W3WH owned one, and the Elecraft K3, which he currently owns.

That's not to say that there aren't many other rigs out there that can perform exceedingly well. And in this situation, "best" is, after all, a relative term. You need to find out what radio suits YOU the best, in terms of features, performance, and ergonomics (ie panel layout, screen or display functionality, etc.)

As I've said before: Find someone with the radios you're interested in, and try them out. Otherwise, you might buy a radio that I would like, but that you find difficult to operate, simply because I prefer the widget controls on the left & you'd rather have them on the right...
    Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

I think what he meant is if your only (or primary) use is CW then it's the K3. If you intend to work a mix of modes the K3 may not be the best choice. The K 3 is an excellent radio but is better regarded as a CW radio rather than an SSB radio.
    There are sheep. There are wolves who prey on the sheep. There are sheepdogs who protect the sheep from the wolves. God protect those of us who are sheepdogs.

Quote Originally Posted by N7WR View Post
    I think what he meant is if your only (or primary) use is CW then it's the K3. If you intend to work a mix of modes the K3 may not be the best choice. The K 3 is an excellent radio but is better regarded as a CW radio rather than an SSB radio.
    I think that's what he meant, also.

The Ten Tec Orion-II is also a truly excellent CW rig (and good on phone modes, too).
    What if soy milk is just regular milk introducing itself in Spanish?

The best one that I have ever used for CW was my Ten-Tec Omni D.
    I should be shot for getting rid of it. But I was young and stupid.

Now I am old and ......
    Support bacteria.... Its the only culture some people have.

Quote Originally Posted by VR2WAR View Post
    Hi,

You'll get different operators choosing different rigs, (individual taste), but I suspect the most popular will be the K3. It's a pity, I'd love to own one but they are like gold dust in the UK. .............I take it price is a consideration?
    I've got an FT1000MP V with all the filters, providing you have all the filters it's a good rig for CW.
    But if I could find one I'd get a K3!

73s Richard

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast