ad: l-assoc
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-innov
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-rl

Default Yaesu ARTS. Does anyone use it?

I honestly can't imagine when I'd ever use it. But, since I have two radios with the capability, I thought I'd give it a try to see how it works. I tried it with a VX-6 and a FT-2900. I seem to have found a major flaw. It is supposed to automatically identify every ten minutes. It does attempt to do so, but, it seems like it transmits an unmodulated carrier when it is supposed to be ID'ing. Sure, it plays my callsign in morse over the speaker, but it's not transmitting the audio. The same thing happens on both radios.

Does anyone else have any interest in this?

I don't know of anybody that uses the ARTS. It's a feature that Ecomm would use or maybe someone in a long distance event like a cross country event.
    As for the rig sending your ID in morse, that's okay and is allowed under the rules. The rules do not specify that you must have your signal offset from your actual transmit frequency. Maybe Yaesu does offset the carrier a bit when it sends the ID in morse. I don't know one way or the other. Had one onrery guy on 10 meters getting grilled by other stations that thought he was an intruder. He did sound like one. They wanted to know his call and he told them he was sending his call and they should pay attention and quite bugging him. I listened and he was right, he was sending his call in morse code. The problem was he was sending it on a zero beat to his signal. So almost nobody would have heard it. I'm not sure the FCC would like this since they probably don't expect that kind of operation either. It is an approved method of giving the ID of your station.
    Now, if the rigs are just putting out a steady carrier that isn't morse and it's unmodulated then yup you have a problem.
    Gary

P.S. Checking the manual it says the ID is sent in CW. It does not say MCW so you are not going to hear a tone just the squelch opening and closing.
    Last edited by KO6WB; 04-26-2012 at 08:02 AM.

I have used it a few times to test my range. Hop in the mobile and drive away from the base for instance.

My cw ID seems to go no problem. I hear it on both ends clear.

Well, I guess I will try again just to see. I couldn't hear any morse coming from either radio last time I tried. The sending radios do beep from the speaker, but nothing heard from the FM transmission.

My friend and I used it last week at the hamfest. Worked great. Did you have the dcs set identical on both radios?

remember that it will only ID once every 10 minutes... and not right at the start. Once you turn on ARTS, you will have to wait 10 minutes before it will transmit ID. (you should ID by voice at the start)

Why do you have to ID at the start of your transmission. Isn't it at the end of your transmission and every 10 mins thereafter? What is different about just getting on and talking for 10 mins and then giving your ID??

Well... I guess I was mistaken that you must ID at the beginning. I guess that is just common protocol, not regulation. My mistake.

There have been cases of it messing with repeaters. A new user of a HT will accidently turn it on and then the repeater will be PESTERED until someone contacts the Ham or DFs him to get him to turn it off. That happened on the Palomar 146.73 repeater some time back!
    I love my cats!
    PHOEBE and PENELOPE MEW!

Quote Originally Posted by KX0Z View Post
    Did you have the dcs set identical on both radios?
    Yes. And as it turns out, that was the problem. The ID'er doesn't use DCS, it transmits with no tone or otherwise. So, as long as both radios are set for ARTS, you will never hear the ID'er, except your own, locally.

Quote Originally Posted by KC9TZT View Post
    remember that it will only ID once every 10 minutes... and not right at the start. Once you turn on ARTS, you will have to wait 10 minutes before it will transmit ID.
    I fully expected that, but I found that mt FT-2900 ID's every 5 minutes, which I think is better anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by KX0Z View Post
    Why do you have to ID at the start of your transmission. Isn't it at the end of your transmission and every 10 mins thereafter?
    It's the other way round. You ID every ten minutes and at the end of your transmission. So, in a 13 minute transmission, you legally have to identify at least twice: once at 10 minutes, and once at 13; or, once at 9 and once at 13; or, once at 2, once at 12, and once at 13.
    I ID at the start just to be polite.

One thing to remember, to be legal, is to make sure to identify every time you turn ARTS *off*.

I still can't fathom a practical use for ARTS. It's backward in my opinion. What it does is listen for a remote transmission and tells you it can hear it. What's the point? I can hear it without it telling me I can hear it. And, it insists on doing it in both directions. The "Pager Answerback" feature makes more sense for the purposes ARTS is supposed to be used for. You transmit, and the remote radio responds to tell you it can hear you.
    In fact, that is the only practical use for the Pager Answerback feature as far as I can tell: to determine if you are within simplex range of someone else, automatically.

Either way, both features seem to have very very limited practical use, and great potential for misuse, intentional or otherwise!

One other thing to bear in mind: It's technically not legal to turn on ARTS at the base station and then drive around listening to it, unless you have some means of remotely turning it off, be it your XYL (with a way to communicate with you), or otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by KO6WB View Post
    P.S. Checking the manual it says the ID is sent in CW. It does not say MCW so you are not going to hear a tone just the squelch opening and closing.
    Incidentally, you are correct, but the manual is not. It does send MCW. In fact, it sounds like OMCW. It's probably not, but it sure sounds loud enough to be overmodulating.
    Last edited by KC9UDX; 04-28-2012 at 01:42 AM. Reason: I may have accidentally become an ARTS guru.