ad: ProAudio-1

QSL - How many non-members of the RSGB know about this change?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by GW0HUS, Apr 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. GW0HUS

GW0HUS Ham Member QRZ Page

Changes to the RSGB QSL bureau operation that were detailed in the December 2011 RadCom have now taken effect. Volunteers now despatch, where possible, all available incoming cards to members and pay-to-receive users on a quarterly basis. Currently they are sending out their last batch of cards to non-members, together with the return of unused collection envelopes and details of how to access the new scheme. All members with more than one active callsign, especially those in the M3, M6, 2 and M0 series, urgently need to visit the RSGB website and update their membership details, if they have not already done so. To avoid envelopes being returned incorrectly and cards lost, this information is vital. It would be most helpful if those who do not collect traditional QSL cards change the wording of any QRZ.com entry to include the wording “No bureau cards”. Please note that all NOV holders of GB Special Event and abbreviated single letter callsigns must be registered to a valid member or affiliated Society in order to continue sending and receiving cards. To update your information visit www.rsgb.org/amend or telephone RSGB headquarters

So as I see it not only do you have to send stamped self addressed envelopes, (which I have no problem with) you now have to pay a fee just to get someone to send them to you
    WHY BOTHER ....
    JUST LIST YOURSELF AS QSL DIRECT ONLY,

OR DO NOT QSL

OR ELECTRONIC ONLY
    Yet another tax on the pensioners,/ seniors (stamps going up by yet another unacceptable amount this month as well !! )

2. M5AKA

M5AKA Ham Member QRZ Page

You have the choice of being a member of the National Society in which case there is no charge or else you pay the costs of using the Bureau. You don't get something for nothing.

If you don't want to pay the costs of sending pieces of card around the world then use LoTW or eQSL.

3. GD0OUD

GD0OUD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

As paying member, I have never understood why non-members got their cards via the bureau for free.

This is a good move in my opinion, as I have heard one non-member saying "QSL via the bureau". When challenged on this, the reply was: "I'm not bothered, I'll get a card anyway", with no intention of sending a card to the station worked.

It is a fact of life that costs rise, and the RSGB needs to be spending the members money to the best interest of the society and it's members. There are as M5AKA states, at least two free methods of sending a QSL if you don't support the traditional methods.

4. AA6RE

AA6RE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

QSL is getting expensive iy one wants a paper QSL that is acceptible for awards and DXCC. LOTW is fine but my return rate is very very low plus I do not have the enjoyment of receiving a paper QSL/confirmation, often with a nice photograph of the ham or his/her station or of the location.

I am disappointed that we can not send i images for QSL that could be printed out if desired on nice glossy stock just like photographs are. Technology is not the issue as credit card transaction occur over the net with security and authorization. Why the major world wide Ham societies have not put their need out to the open source software community to develope such a world wide data base and confirmation system is still a mystery to me.

The LOTW system was a good attempt but many hams find the key security system so troubling that they give up on the system. I think it is fairly straightforward but many do not. With modern logging software systems an dPC hard ware so cheap we probably shouldl be doing a better job with QSLs.

The volunter bureaus do a great job but it is expensive and people-power intensive. We need a more global system that individual hams, regardless of country society, could tap into for a small fee or no-fee.

Postage rates are only going to go higher, I like to get a real QSL or at least an image that can be locally printed and used for all major awards.

I'd rather spend my money on new equipement than postage stamps, IRCs and "Green" stamps.

Dave AA6RE

5. M0YMA

M0YMA Ham Member QRZ Page

I've got a name for this wonderful suggestion: www.eqsl.cc :)

It just needs a few more awards bodies to accept that AG eQSLs are as legimate (if not more so) than a piece of card sent thrpough the post

6. G3WCY

G3WCY Ham Member QRZ Page

I still think that E-QSL cards should be accepted for awards, anyone who fakes a QSO/ QSL are only Cheating themselves. OK not every amateur has acces to the internet, so they would lose out in thatrespect, but no more of a hardship to get a paper QSL than it is now.
    dont know why some award managers / providers are so protective. just my opinion anyway.73
    brian
    G3WCY

7. N4ST

N4ST XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm a fan of paper QSL cards. I've been collecting them for +40 years. If someone doesn't want to QSL or can't afford to, fine, that's their business, but I would appreciate them listing their preference on QRZ. I do expect paper QSL cards to become a thing of the past, which is one reason I collect them even more faithfully. I haven't sent a card in for an award in many years, preferring to go the LoTW route for awards. I find the QSL return rate is very good for LoTW, especially for digital modes, contests and DXpeditions which is where I work all of the "new ones" anyway.

8. AA6RE

AA6RE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes I know about the eQSL system but until DCCC/WAS accepts them it really is a non starter as a universal system despite the excellent service they provide.

9. G4LHT

G4LHT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I think in light of the modern means to confirm a contact, that the card sending brigade of which I belong should take on board the Tree to paper ratio along with the time of the volunteers and not complain about stumping up for the extra money levied on receiving/sending a paper QSL card or the price of subscription if not inclusive to that countries scheme.

That said, new ways of confirming hard worked QSL's/DX should be adopted by the bodies that issue these said awards, especially for those that try and seek them via the electronic route and are not lending to the furthence of felling forests.

Regards
    Damian

10. 2E0BPP

2E0BPP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Who said it was just non-members who get their envelopes returned? I am a member, my details are up to date but I still received all my envelopes back. I've sent what's left back and await another return.

I cannot understand why the awards do not accept eQSL. I have a number of QSL cards that are inaccurate. Wrong call, wrong location, IOTA number incorrect and IOTA on a card where the ham is not on an island (unless their callsign is wrong).

I also have a DXCC that I have not worked.

Another thing is the inaccurate information on QRZ.com.

In my opinion I do like new DXCC, Zones IOTAs etc but cheating is like cheating at patience, a waste of time.

As a relative newbie to Ham radio but 40 years in the computer industry the hobby is not really up to date. It seems the administrators aren't in favour of change.

A comment about printing nice images direct from your log why not try GlobalQSL?

11. EI7GM

EI7GM Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't see a problem with non-members paying for the BURO service which is performed by un-paid volunteers.
    The volunteers' efforts then go towards earning a few shillings for the society.
    Obviously, whatever the fee is, it should be reasonable for both sides not just the society.

12. KL7JR

KL7JR Ham Member QRZ Page

Like who cares? The UK isn't rare DX, hi hi!
    KL7JR

13. G4PKP/SK2023

G4PKP/SK2023 Ham Member QRZ Page

I feel most strongly that all amateurs should be members of their national societies. If you want the benefits, pay your dues. I was never a union lover but if you don't want the benefits, negotiate your own terms of employment with the bosses!! See how far you get. Some people like to run with the fox and hunt with the hounds. That's the trouble with today's society, take take and more take and no give.
    John G4PKP

14. KI6LZ

KI6LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I would like to stop expats that go to wanted entities to get green stamps to pay for their 9000s and big antennas.they have to be weaned off.......

15. M5EXY

M5EXY Ham Member QRZ Page

Well said that man!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.