ad: l-innov
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-sarc
ad: l-rl
ad: l-WarrenG

Default Hy-Gain TH3JRS vs. Cushcraft MA5B

Both are multiband, 3 element max yagis.
    Both use traps (ma5b also uses capacitive hats)
    Both have almost same declared gain
    TH3JRS is much cheaper ($150 less), but also has no WARC coverage. Also, it appears to have wider coverage on 20 meters.
    MA5B is lighter, and does not requires specific shipping options as TH3JRS, but it is more expensive, with only 150khz bandwidth on 20 meters

If it was you, which one you'd choose and why?

Used power won't exceed 300W, so both fit in power limitations.

Regardless of gain claims, the TH3JRS is a better performing antenna on 10-15-20 meters, for certain.

Frankly, for just a bit more money, I'd go for the TH3MK4 instead. Not because it can handle more power (it can) but because it's a better, stronger antenna that outperforms the JRS model (it is two feet longer, though). It has a higher wind speed rating, due to its stronger construction. That is meaningful.
    A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.

-- George Bernard Shaw

Outperforms - in terms of performance or durability?

My initial idea is, to buy TH3JRS, equip it with ATU, like MFJ-925, which will be mounted directly on the antenna mast, to reduce losses, which will allow multi-band operation and wider coverage, but I'm worried about "special shipping measures", which aren't apply for MA5B.

I wanna MA5B JUST for the WARC Bands, cuz it is extremely LIGHT and I can hold it up on my Pushup mast without much trouble. But I don't wanna pay $500 for one! Maybe $100 for a good used one.
    MA-5B: 26.5 lbs
    TH3-Jr: 21 lbs
    Last edited by WA6MHZ; 04-25-2012 at 06:31 PM.
    I love my cats!
    PHOEBE and PENELOPE MEW!

Quote Originally Posted by WA6MHZ View Post
    I wanna MA5B JUST for the WARC Bands, cuz it is extremely LIGHT and I can hold it up on my Pushup mast without much trouble. But I don't wanna pay $500 for one! Maybe $100 for a good used one.
    MA-5B: 26.5 lbs
    TH3-Jr: 21 lbs
    Saying it has WARC band coverage is a bit of a stretch. Its not a beam on those bands and operates like a short rotatable dipole at best. It would not rank very high on my list wanted antennas. A couple of wires or segments of tubing would be a lot cheaper and likely work better.

Quote Originally Posted by WB3BEL View Post
    Saying it has WARC band coverage is a bit of a stretch. Its not a beam on those bands and operates like a short rotatable dipole at best. It would not rank very high on my list wanted antennas. A couple of wires or segments of tubing would be a lot cheaper and likely work better.
    I agree. Actually the Cushcraft D3W WARC-band rotatable dipole has more gain than the MA-5B on 12m and 17m, while weighing and costing less.
    A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.

-- George Bernard Shaw

I have TH-3JRS and it works great. I didn't have to pay any special shipping, no piece is longer that 6'. I can tune it on 12m and 17m with the tuner in the K3, but it is much worse than my 12/17m trapped dipole in the trees.

I'd go for the TH-3JRS in a heartbeat, having used one for a couple of years, I can't comment on the MA5B, one benefit I suppose is it's smaller (MA5B).

For the WARC bands I built a Multi-band Dipole with a single feed and it worked very well, doesn't have to be in the clouds to work well either due to the bands it's covering.

Vy 73!

The TH3MK4 is better.

Trust me.

Better beam, and doesn't cost much more than the TH3JRS. I've used and installed both lots of times.

But the JRS does work.

-- George Bernard Shaw

I may have to pay extra for shipping, cuz' I'm going to take it onboard the plane. Technically, I can built such antenna at home, but alloy tubing is very expensive here - 0.5'' Dia, DT16 alloy tube costs $25 per meter! So I plan to buy antenna in USA on my upcoming visit.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast