Callsign
ad: Waters-2

Thread: Here is a heads up for MHZ, this is for a FT-950 that needs some repair.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-rl
ad: l-innov
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-Waters

Default Here is a heads up for MHZ, this is for a FT-950 that needs some repair.

This is for WA6MHZ who Fancy's himself as an electronic repairman. Lets face it your dream of a FT-5000 "went up in your green smoke some years ago". Here is a QRZ advertizment for a FT-950 cheap but is in need of some repair.

http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?343748-FT-950
    [FONT=T93Y][COLOR=#0000ff][B]ACFP

[/B][/COLOR]
    [/FONT]

This FT-950 has been hit by lightning. My Icom IC-736 was also a lightning vicitm in a very rare lightning storm that hit Crest. The input relays were toast, but thats about where the fire ended. I replaced those and the radio is as good as ever. But the more Microprocessor and sensitive components that get involved in a rig, the less chance that it will be repairable. If the strike has gone into the Microprocessor board, the radio is TOAST. About all that will be good on it is the case and knobs. So it depends on how far the lightning went. For $100 it might be worth the chance, but I would like to plug it in and see if it responds at all. The RF section is repairable, but the Logic section is a hopeless cause and would require new boards from Yaesu. The cost of replacement boards would undoubtedly exceed the cost of a whole new radio, as companies like to jack up replacement costs. Wish I could see this rig and see just how far the lightning has spread!
    I love my cats!
    PHOEBE and PENELOPE MEW!

Thats always a gamble with rigs lighting has hit. If the micro and other logic is still good then its a piece of cake!

fp
    [FONT=T93Y][COLOR=#0000ff][B]ACFP

[/B][/COLOR]
    [/FONT]

I may have misunderstood but when KI4YLD responded to me today I think he made mention that the jolt came through his computer to the radio so maybe the CAT or data cable. If that is the case then his computer was most certainly a causality. Tough deal but lightning happpens.
    73 - Jay