Callsign
ad: SteppIR-1
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Linux users: What logging program do you use?

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-innov
ad: l-rl
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-sarc
ad: l-tentec

Default Linux users: What logging program do you use?

Recently made the switch from XP to Ubuntu and need to find a decent logging program. I've test driven xlog & klog, but wasn't really impressed with either. Got HRD to install via wine, but I can't get the logging program to launch. Any other I should look into? Should preferably be a to export to LOTW.

Try CQRlog. Excellent piece of software, integrates well with fldigi. Does export/import LoTW and eQSL and is under constant development/improvement. The only gripe I have with it are the key bindings, but that is because I hate using a mouse. Good luck.

Hans

While it's not much help to you, I have been OK with xlog. Maybe that is a result of using it for so long, when there were no alternatives. Like Hans above, I've looked at CQRlog, but it wouldn't install on my 64-bit Gentoo machine (required some 32-bit libraries which weren't in the Gentoo repositories). I liked the appearance of CQRlog, though.

For some digital-mode contests, I have just used the logging-capability which is built into fldigi - however, this really isn't a good general solution for CW, SSB, etc.

All-in-all, I think I would echo Hans' suggestion to take a look at CQRlog and see what you think.

HTH,
    -Gord

@Gord: you're right, Fldigi also has logging capabilities. If you have rig control set up this would be better for contesting than CQRlog, which lacks serial number/exchange support. Fldigi also exports cabrillo, even though you have to edit the output before sending it in.

Question

So is CQRLOG and XLOG all there is for Linux?

I have used CQRlog for some time. It's a very nice piece of work, but I don't like way the drop-down "Frequency:" list feature works at all! Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but it appears that we cannot customize it, and there's no 60 meter support. (I simply HATE having to type in the 60M freqs all the time.)

I just posted a suggestion on the cqrlog.com forum. We'll see what happens.

I've tried some Windows logging sofware under WINE, but none of them worked right.

EDIT: Please reply to me directly, as I am unable to subscribe to this thread due to a bug on qrz.com. This post only intermittenty appears in my browser and I may never see your reply. TIA
    73, Mike
    http://www.w0btu.com

With rig control set up in CQRlog, I never have to bother with the Frequency box. Mike, make certain that 5 MHz is checked in CQRlog's Preferences|Bands dialog. I don't bother with 60m so I don't have it checked.

Off the top of my head, there is also Klog, dbLog, TWlog, and probably more in various states of development and features.
    Nate, Bremen, KS
    "Amateur radio--a real time social network using radio waves"

The issue I mentioned with the QRZ database seems to be solved. No need to reply directly as I requested above. Now to more important matters...

Quote Originally Posted by N0NB View Post
    With rig control set up in CQRlog, I never have to bother with the Frequency box. Mike, make certain that 5 MHz is checked in CQRlog's Preferences|Bands dialog. I don't bother with 60m so I don't have it checked.
    Nate, checking 5 MHz (or any other band) in CQRlog's Preferences|Bands dialog does nothing. All the bands there Except 5 MHZ display in the drop-down "Frequency:" list regardless of what is checked or unchecked.

What could be wrong, and how do we solve this? I've looked through the config files and see nothing about bands or frequencies. Maybe the main config file is corrupted? I have uninstalled and reinstalled CQRlog but nothing changed.

Enabling rig control is probably good advice. The last time I thought about it was when I had my IC-751A. Maybe it's easier to to with the rig I use now, an IC-765. But I'd like to figure out what is wrong before I try that!

EDIT: could someone please send me their ~/.config/cqrlog.cfg file ? TIA! :-)
    Last edited by W0BTU; 07-14-2012 at 11:02 PM.
    73, Mike
    http://www.w0btu.com

Another alternative is jLog from jLog.org. Support is a little light but it does a decent job.

Mike, looking through ~/.config/carlog/cqrlog.cfg I don't find anything regarding the frequency drop-down. I can confirm what you're seeing as I have CQRlog 1.4.1 installed and even after enabling 5 MHz in the Bands dialog, it does not display 5 MHz in the drop-down menu. Even restarting the program the drop-down does not show 5 MHz. This is a bug that should be reported to the CQRlog Bugs forum.

Also, I'd advise against sharing the .cfg file as personal data is stored in it.
    Nate, Bremen, KS
    "Amateur radio--a real time social network using radio waves"

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast