ad: l-rl
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-innov

Talking U.S, "DX".......LOL!

Glory, Haileluia!

I turned on my Icom 706 Mark II-G radio and tuned down to lower 37 (27.375).
    It was about 2 PM local time. At first, I heard the background noise, then the
    signal came up form a guy in California talking to his wife. So, I tuned up to
    28.365 and a few signals got through. I'm using a plug-in, behind-the-set,
    CB antenna tuned for 10 meters. The wife was taking a nap, so I didn't dare
    talk or listen louder, but 10 meters was open for a bit, faded out, then 30
    minutes later came back again!

Accordiing to the DX Sunspot count, 10 meters is supposed to be "active" in
    the morning, falling off to "bad" at night. I just hope the DX gods would get
    their act together and get 17, 12, 10, & 6 meters open all day & night, LOL!
    I'm really impatient with Cycle 24 in wanting the bands to open up, however
    I'll just have to be more quiet and wait.

GOD BLESS,

Don/KA5LQJ
    QCWA
    Ten/Ten International

I think I need to go inspect my antennas. The SFI is high enough that 10 should be open, but I'm not even hearing beacons. I do hear some loud signals on 15, but 12 and 10 are kaput so far, and that's on both of my HF antennas. The only reason I'm not tearing them all down looking for trouble is that I don't see any spots on PSK Reporter or WSPR involving other stations in Minnesota. I can only conclude that Minnesota is in a 10 meter free zone.
    EchoLink, IRLP, Allstar and DSTAR linking - adding interest to repeaters worldwide 24X7

Yes, the SFI is up, but so is the A index. Last time I checked, it was 23. I think it was 28 earlier in the day.

You might want to give it a little time....
    "If someone tells you he believes in and talks to an invisible bunny named Harvey, you put him on medication and a regimen of therapy. If someone tells you he believes in and talks to God, well, that's perfectly acceptable. Why that's the case is impossible for me to fathom." - WP2XX

"He's dead, Jim. You take his Tricorder and I'll get his wallet."

"The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"

Quote Originally Posted by KJ3N View Post
    Yes, the SFI is up, but so is the A index. Last time I checked, it was 23. I think it was 28 earlier in the day.

You might want to give it a little time....
    Forget what I said. The A index is now up to 33! Yikes!
    "If someone tells you he believes in and talks to an invisible bunny named Harvey, you put him on medication and a regimen of therapy. If someone tells you he believes in and talks to God, well, that's perfectly acceptable. Why that's the case is impossible for me to fathom." - WP2XX

"He's dead, Jim. You take his Tricorder and I'll get his wallet."

"The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"

Quote Originally Posted by KJ3N View Post
    Forget what I said. The A index is now up to 33! Yikes!

And the SFI is falling!

Ed

Lousy conditions today! Nothing worth listening to at all.
    ex-W4DFW Ham since 1970. ARRL Life Member and Volunteer Counsel

Quote Originally Posted by W4PG View Post
    And the SFI is falling faster than the A index.
    Last edited by KD8FYI; 04-25-2012 at 01:42 AM. Reason: Should have read before posted!

Talking You from "Lake Woebegone?" LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by K0RGR View Post
    I think I need to go inspect my antennas. The SFI is high enough that 10 should be open, but I'm not even hearing beacons. I do hear some loud signals on 15, but 12 and 10 are kaput so far, and that's on both of my HF antennas. The only reason I'm not tearing them all down looking for trouble is that I don't see any spots on PSK Reporter or WSPR involving other stations in Minnesota. I can only conclude that Minnesota is in a 10 meter free zone.
    Might be that some of those Norweign Bachelor Farmers have plowed up your radials planting those Spring crops, Ho,Ho, Ho, Green Giant.....LOL!

I've been at this Radio/Electronics business for 55 years. First with BCB listening, then SWLing, then CB Radio, got my 2nd class Commercial ticket, worked at an FM station for a year, then went to work for Western Electric, and so on. I never learned about all those indices, instead, I turned the radio on and listened to see where the signals were coming in from. I've even worked some backscatter on 10 meters getting 10-10 numbers, LOL! I'm nearly 66 years old to to old to try and learn that mess. I'll continue to 'rag-chew' and really enjoy the folks I speak with.

GODS BLESS,
    Don/KA5LQJ

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by W4PG View Post
    DX for me is being able to make a contact across the street!
    Bo Wb4whj

To be any good the A and K have to be below 5 and the last few weeks have been exceptionally high. The SFI is no indication of conditions. I watched a TV documentary about the Sun and sunspots a few days ago and all they were telling viewers was about what happened when the power got closed down in Montreal years ago. No information useful for ham radio other than scientists cannot understand why the sunspots are not ionising the upper atmosphere.
    The fact is the sun isn't producing what is required and hasn't done so for many years now
    Radio conditions in the America's and now Africa are far, far better than the rest of the world. Nobody seems to have an answer