ad: l-innov
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-AmericanRadio
ad: l-BCInc
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-Waters

Quote Originally Posted by K6CPO View Post
    I want to see the Chinese market a nice dual band mobile instead of a bunch of HTs...
    If you spend a few hours searching the various mainland China hobby radio supply websites you will find that a plethora of such radios already exist in what we would call the Part 90 world. Its only a matter of time before some US entrepreneur gets a few certified by the FCC for sale as ham radio gear and the market is flooded with $169.95 dual-band mobiles. As I recall, the most popular one is the Uoeteng (probably SIC) or similar. They are out there. You just have to find them unless they find us first via eBay.

Just looked at the 409shop web site and they now list the Ronson UV-8R as a 5 watt unit. The manual shown in the pix says 7W. I still say it is a copy of the Baofeng UV-5R and it probably is only a 4 watt unit. But, you still can't beat it for 55 to 65 bucks depending on where you buy it. It's definately a throw away, but it is worth it. I never thought I would say that about a Chinese unit. Oh well, things change.

I don't see any HTs on this ronson site.
    "Pull my finger." "Part II."

7w DC input?

Used to work in the old days.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by WA7BBI View Post
    Just looked at the 409shop web site and they now list the Ronson UV-8R as a 5 watt unit. The manual shown in the pix says 7W. I still say it is a copy of the Baofeng UV-5R and it probably is only a 4 watt unit. But, you still can't beat it for 55 to 65 bucks depending on where you buy it. It's definately a throw away, but it is worth it. I never thought I would say that about a Chinese unit. Oh well, things change.
    Member: Backyard Engineering Group

Quote Originally Posted by WA7BBI View Post
    Speaking of the Baofeng UV-5R, I recall a spec stating that the UHF output was 1W. If that's true, can this HT even be used on 440?? I'd like to buy one but a little concerned about its power??

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by N7SGM View Post
    Speaking of the Baofeng UV-5R, I recall a spec stating that the UHF output was 1W. If that's true, can this HT even be used on 440?? I'd like to buy one but a little concerned about its power??
    You could use the 70cm for crossband repeat with you shack or car mobile. Years ago when the first supermini 700mW or so dualband HT's came out, hams in my club would crossband with their cars in the parking lot.

73, Jordan

Quote Originally Posted by N7SGM View Post

Bob
    It is programable for high 5W or low 1W on both bands. I have worked a couple of quite distant repeaters on 440 with just the rubber duck antenna so I'm sure it was running 4 to 5 watts. Though, I have not measured it with the Bird yet. I've also read where people say they are off frequency, I have not measured that either, but I get good signal and audio reports on both 2 meters and 440. I have had to charge the battery frequently, but it has been on a lot too. Hope this helps. Remember it is not an Alinco or Yaesu, etc.

WA7BBI James,

Thank you for the info you provided here. That cleared up what I was wrongly thinking.

Bob

Thought abt getting one of those cheap HT,s but the local repeaters have maybe ten minutes of conversation on them a day so why bother. Oh, wait, they do have a "save the world 2m net" once a week and a "pass the traffic" net once a week , maybe I will get one after all.
    K5jyd

I measured my UV-5R and found it to be more than 4W on 440 Mhz
    I love my cats!
    PHOEBE and PENELOPE MEW!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast