ad: l-Heil
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-rl
ad: l-innov

Contribute
to QRZ

Smile IC-7000 video out options

Proud new owner of a IC-7000. I want to hook it up to a 17" LCD screen with a DB15 connecting cord. Is there a ready made adapter, or a schematic of the screen pin outs, I can make this happen with? Online service manual sites come up dry for this old monitor. Icom uses a very simple 3.5 mm video out/ ground scheme in the back.
    No, it's not mobile.
    Yet!
    KJ6NTB

The video out of the 7000 is composite, and is not directly compatible with a nominal computer screen's VGA. Yes, you can buy an adapter (most computer stores will have one), but you're going to be really disappointed! They're also not cheap!

The composite out is only 256 lines, which is doubled. On screens much larger than 7 or 8 inches, the lettering gets very digitized, and hard to read. If you use either of the alternate background colors with a computer screen, they look more pastel than they should be, which adds more insult to injury to the poor resolution.

I suggested you find a smaller screen, like those sold for mobile video.
    Alan Applegate, KBG
    http://www.k0bg.com

Quote Originally Posted by K0BG View Post
    The video out of the 7000 is composite, and is not directly compatible with a nominal computer screen's VGA. Yes, you can buy an adapter (most computer stores will have one), but you're going to be really disappointed! They're also not cheap!

The composite out is only 256 lines, which is doubled. On screens much larger than 7 or 8 inches, the lettering gets very digitized, and hard to read. If you use either of the alternate background colors with a computer screen, they look more pastel than they should be, which adds more insult to injury to the poor resolution.

I suggested you find a smaller screen, like those sold for mobile video.
    Agreed. The 7000 display is a fixed pixel output. It doesn't look very appealing on anything larger than a 7-inch display.

Many thanks for your replies. that is the conclusion I am coming to, as well. It's a fabulous little rig, and i will shop around for a 7 inch monitor.
    KJ6NTB

I bought a mobile DVD player made by Philips, with two screens from Big Lots for just $60. One has the DVD built in, the other is a stand along monitor. I used the monitor for a home security camera, and the player I gave to the grandkids.
    Alan Applegate, KBG

I am having fun with my new 7000 in the car. As I tried different control head mounting locations to maximize ease of operation and minimize glare, it occurred to me: someone should come up with a heads-up display kit! I suppose something could be done with a picoprojector...
    Last edited by WA8FOZ; 04-27-2012 at 01:07 AM. Reason: typo
    Bill WA8FOZ

Hello All
    Wanted to post an update to this thread. i picked up a 7" monitor that is sold as a headrest screen for mobile use. Price was $80.00, and it seems bright and responsive in the shack. It includes Two video inputs, so can be used with a back-up camera or as a kiddie monitor. I drive a 2005 F-450, with a Yeasu FT-7900 on board. Finding real estate for it all will be fun, but the monitor may have to be mounted on a custom fold down apparatus, or something. The fun of ham continues! Thank you all for your input and wisdom.
    KJ6NTB

Bill.... A heads up display seemingly was the rage at GM. A couple of models still have it as an option. The truth is, however, it is a distraction to most drivers, especially if you wear bifocals. Been there, done that!

I have my 7000 connected to a TVandNav2Go converter. It is much easier to glance at the Navi rather than the 7000's display, and isn't as distracting as a heads up display.
    Alan Applegate, KBG

Alan...I was mostly kidding - and I do wear bifocals!...but it would be cool. I think Bimmers and some Mercs are still trying. I recall that the Corvette and, I think, a Pontiac had them

I looked at Nav2Go and it is not clear that they have a product for my Infiniti(Nissan). I'll try again.

Edit: I see they do have one....I'll have to call them.
    Last edited by WA8FOZ; 05-01-2012 at 07:11 PM.
    Bill WA8FOZ