ad: seapac-1
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: A total new guy to ham radio

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-innov
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-rl
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-rfparts

to QRZ

  1. #1

    Default A total new guy to ham radio

    Hello everyone, I've decided to take the plunge and get into ham radio. I have a friend back home that is into it and more than willing to teach me (he told me about this site).

    Here is my problem. Im about to head out to the middle east on a deployment with the army. Im a 25U (Signal support systems specialist) so I just know enough about radios to get the job done. Im currently with an aviation unit and this is where I got my first taste of HF in my entire time with the army. While in Iraq in 2008 a ham radio operator picked up our HF ALE signal all the way in Germany (even though it was encrypted the commander was upset when the guy wrote an email to him about it)

    So here I go again to the middle east but this time big army said no to us bringing our HF base station with us. I wouldve loved to have it with us to play around with but

    So Im going to study up while Im here and see if i can test out here as well. In the mean time i was wondering if i could use HF radios before i got licensed. I learn faster hands on. I don't want to get into trouble though as i want to keep those going as a hobby when i get home.


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Rochester, MN


    No, unfortunately you can't operate on any amateur band without a license, except under the direct supervision of a licensed ham. You can listen, though, and if you're trying to learn, that is probably the best idea. If you've got a transceiver, just disconnect the mic and hide it someplace so you won't be tempted to transmit without a license.

    As a Technician, your HF privileges are pretty limited - 10 meters is the only place where you can operate on voice, and you can only use SSB between 28.3 and 28.5 MHz.. You can do CW on the 80, 40, 15 and 10 meter bands and digital modes on 28.0-28.3. When 10 is open, it's a worldwide DX band, but 10 is usually only open in the daytime, and only when the sunspots are high. So, a General license is what you want to be able to do voice and digital modes on the other HF bands, particularly if you want to operate much at night.
    EchoLink, IRLP, Allstar and DSTAR linking - adding interest to repeaters worldwide 24X7

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Lompoc, CA


    Suggest you connect with an amateur radio club where ever you happen to be. Many military bases have a club. These folks can help you get started and will know how to find the local volunteer examiners who administer the tests. Some clubs hold classes.

  4. #4


    I will defiantly look for any type of clubs while Im there. I don't have a transceiver at this time si that will save me there lol. Thank you both for your input too.

  5. #5


    Olá Jerrad seja bem-vindo ao radioamadorísmo, este hobby é uma maravilha ok.
    Um forte 73:
    Edson da Paixão:PY2EP:

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts