Callsign
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Does it REALLY matter if it doesn't pass Sherwood muster?

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-innov
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-Waters

WN:

Only if Cary Elwes is playing Robin Hood!

Glen, K9STH

Urbana, IL 61802 - Home of the University of Illinois

I've personally known Rob Sherwood since 1980, and his quest for higher dynamic range receivers has certainly had an impact on the transceiver manufacturers. I first got to know him when I began modifying my Drake R-4B and R-4C, and between his extensive mods, Howard Sartori's mods, and my own, I'll still put my highly-modified R-4C up against "most" anything available today. I used to own an ICOM IC-7800, but a few rigs in my shack, including the R-4C, outperformed it when the going got really rough. For one, I simply couldn't live with the IC-7800's AGC. Having owned a Collins 75A4 (now, there's one I should have never sold!), I agree with Steve WB2WIK... great audio to listen to over long periods, as well as a Drake 2B. You simply can't beat tube audio into a decent-sized speaker for CW.

Rob's an extremely intelligent engineer, and really knows his stuff when it comes to gain distribution throughout the design of a receiver, as well as all of the important parameters of receiver design: LO spectral purity, filter ultimate rejection, reciprocal mixing, dynamic range, et. al. It's been my pleasure knowing him for over 30 years. He and I are having lunch on Saturday at Dayton, so it should be interesting to discuss this thread with him!

Ponied up to the Bar, with an umbrella in my drink.

Quote Originally Posted by K9STH View Post
    WN:

Only if Cary Elwes is playing Robin Hood!

Glen, K9STH
    As you wish.

Whoops! Wrong movie.
    Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Quote Originally Posted by W3WN View Post
    Don't suppose you meant the Sheriff of Rottingham?

... oh c'mon, it was a much better movie than the newer one, even if it was also a parody of the Errol Flynn one, the Disney one, and a whole bunch of other lesser ones as well... I mean, I like Kevin Costner as an actor, but couldn't he at least TRY to perform Robin Hood with an English accent throughout?
    It's a spoof.

Costner's a great actor IMO. I might be slightly prejudiced since we eat at his restaurant about once a month and he gets us a good table.

Only problem with Kevin's acting is he always plays himself, in some way. He really does love baseball, for example. I don't know if he could play someone who hated baseball, that would really be acting.
    What if soy milk is just regular milk introducing itself in Spanish?

I don't care what "Sherwood" thinks, I'm happy with my FT-950 and it matches my antennas quite well!

fp
    [FONT=T93Y][COLOR=#0000ff][B]ACFP

[/B][/COLOR]
    [/FONT]

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5