ad: l-rl
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-Heil
ad: l-Waters

Contribute
to QRZ

Default Operation Canceled Warning

I'm using Windows 7, and Microsoft Outlook.

Beginning recently, when I try to click on a hyperlink which is in an incoming e-mail, I get the following warning.
    This only started happening recently and I assume I've set something wrong in one of the setup menus.
    I am the Administrator, and have my security settings set at medium high, lowering that doesn't help.
    Where do I need to go, and what needs to be changed ?
    Thanks
    Capture microsoft.JPG
    73, Randy K5RCD south Texas
    ARRL VE

Quote Originally Posted by K5RCD View Post
    I'm using Windows 7, and Microsoft Outlook.

Beginning recently, when I try to click on a hyperlink which is in an incoming e-mail, I get the following warning.
    This only started happening recently and I assume I've set something wrong in one of the setup menus.
    I am the Administrator, and have my security settings set at medium high, lowering that doesn't help.
    Where do I need to go, and what needs to be changed ?
    Thanks
    Capture microsoft.JPG
    Sounds like the hyperlink is not liked by outlook security.

You can change your outlook Privacy settings for it to work. Check Tools/Trust Center Settings, If you really want to change your settings.

You can also copy and paste the links if you really want to go there, without changing your security settings.
    Last edited by KA9JLM; 04-20-2012 at 04:32 PM.
    "Theory only works perfect in a vacuum." KA9JLM Don

Beautiful Downtown Colorado. (Montrose, SW corner)

I just love those instructions to check with the admin whe he is us.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

Quote Originally Posted by K8ERV View Post
    I just love those instructions to check with the admin whe he is us.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

I guess that means you should know what to do ?

It should say;

"Please contact yourself if you are experiencing problems with this software"
    "Would you like to send a Error report to yourself ?"
    "Theory only works perfect in a vacuum." KA9JLM Don

Beautiful Downtown Colorado. (Montrose, SW corner)

Quote Originally Posted by KA9JLM View Post

"
    I would only contact myself if I were really desperate. My advise is not very good.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

Quote Originally Posted by KA9JLM View Post
    "Would you like to send a Error report to yourself ?"
    Oh, I could just see Microsoft re-animating Clippy for just such a task.

Die, Clippy, die!

Anyway, back to the subject. Putting on the net admin hat for a second, is the email and link from someone that you know and would expect an attachment or URL link from? It could be something your system is legitimately protecting you from. If you're uncertain, it never hurts to write 'em back and ask "Hey, my email didn't like that last email you sent with the attachment, was that really you?"

Hackers are unfortunately now smart enough to utilize social engineering to make you think you're getting something from a friend and whammo! Your PC now has cooties.

Apologies if you knew all this already, but I thought it worth mentioning.
    [SIZE=1][B]"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." - Robert A Heinlein[/B][/SIZE]

SanDiego, People's Republic of California FEMA District 9

Quote Originally Posted by KK4AMP View Post
    Oh, I could just see Microsoft re-animating Clippy for just such a task.

Die, Clippy, die!

Anyway, back to the subject. Putting on the net admin hat for a second, is the email and link from someone that you know and would expect an attachment or URL link from? It could be something your system is legitimately protecting you from. If you're uncertain, it never hurts to write 'em back and ask "Hey, my email didn't like that last email you sent with the attachment, was that really you?"

Hackers are unfortunately now smart enough to utilize social engineering to make you think you're getting something from a friend and whammo! Your PC now has cooties.

Apologies if you knew all this already, but I thought it worth mentioning.
    Good advice.
    As an experiment have someone you know send you a link to this site or a known clean site, see what happens. If you get the same message you could have one of your security settings set too high.

I think you will find what you are looking for in the Trust Center settings.
    the very last item in the options menu.
    When it's time, it's time, and it maybe sooner than you think.

OK. Thanks to all.

I tracked down the problem. Here is the answer in case you ever encounter it.

A few days ago, my XYL got tricked into switching to Google Chrome as default browser.

I found that out, and uninstalled it and switched back to IE 9.

However, I found out the uninstall left traces of Chrome hidden in my PC, causing the problem

I went here http://www.slipstick.com/problems/th...o-restrictions and downloaded the "file" under "file Registry Error Part 2". Naturally, I created a restore point before downloading it.

Everything seems back to normal now.
    73, Randy K5RCD south Texas
    ARRL VE

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by K5RCD View Post
    OK. Thanks to all.

I tracked down the problem. Here is the answer in case you ever encounter it.

A few days ago, my XYL got tricked into switching to Google Chrome as default browser.

I found that out, and uninstalled it and switched back to IE 9.

However, I found out the uninstall left traces of Chrome hidden in my PC, causing the problem

I went here http://www.slipstick.com/problems/th...o-restrictions and downloaded the "file" under "file Registry Error Part 2". Naturally, I created a restore point before downloading it.

Everything seems back to normal now.
    Yet another good reason to run Linux, to keep other people's fingers OFF my keyboard, LOL! We don't NEED no stinking IE or CHROME.