ad: l-tentec
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-rl
ad: l-innov
ad: l-Waters

Contribute
to QRZ

Quote Originally Posted by M6DFV View Post
    The device just seems to change from open to closed circuit state, it gives no voltage output at all, that I can measure, that['s probably why i found the transistor idea rather odd, I thought I may have misunderstood, then found a relay.
    Maybe the PNP transistor in the box is bad then.

If it is good it should power the relay coil.

Or the 3.3 volt regulator could be bad.
    Last edited by KA9JLM; 04-23-2012 at 02:56 PM.
    "Theory only works perfect in a vacuum." KA9JLM Don

I think there may be some confusion here, the encapsualted USB "thing" feeds down a moulded lead to what Radio Arena call the "main unit". The switching for the PTT function is done by an optocoupler.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I think there may be some confusion here, the encapsualted USB "thing" feeds down a moulded lead to what Radio Arena call the "main unit". The switching for the PTT function is done by an optocoupler.
    That is confusing.

Seems like it would have worked as is then.

Sorry for the confusion. I was going by your original posted diagram.

Operating a relay coil off of batteries will get old real quick.

Seeing as i have the thing now at least it should get me up and running for no further outlay. Wish I'd never seen them and just got a SignaLink, but hindsight is a wonderful thing. Thanks very much for all your help!!

Based on new drawing, the opto-coupler, 4N25 is likely dead -- or you hooked up backwards.

w9gb
    Nullius in verba

Exclamation It Works

I have exactly the same radio and interface and it works just fine. In the JT65 settings, try both comm port 5 and "nothing" options. One of these will work with yours and it's the reason (almost 100% probable) your PTT is'nt activating.

Jeff
    M1BCM

I am totally new to data comms and have loaded the current JT65 HF
    software and am using a USB driven interface cable from my Windows XP
    desktop PC to my old boat anchor Yaesu FT-902DM transceiver. the cable
    is from a UK company called radio Arena and is shown here (site can be
    slow):

http://www.radioarena.co.uk/index.ph...productId=2712

It has a LED on the case to show (I assume) when it triggers the PTT.

Using the JT65 "Test PTT" button the LED on the interface lights and
    the PTT RCA plug that goes to the PTT connector on the back panel of
    the transceiver goes closed circuit, tested with a continuity meter.
    The rig however does not go into TX mode. Shorting the PTT connector
    terminals on the transceiver sends it into TX mode. Am I missing
    something like it also needs an audio signal input, or
    misunderstanding the "Test PTT" function in JT65? Or is it likely a
    hardware issue with the interface cable? Thanks!

Nope, sorry Jeff, tried that, no joy at all. Moving the USB device from PC socket to PC socket gives the device a different comm port number as I would expect, but in no port does it do more tghan flash the LED on when the tset button is pressed. A meter shows the connector plug to the PTT on the rig change to closed circuit *IF* it's not connected to the rig. When it IS connected to the rig it doesn't cause the rig's relay to close. Altering the opptions boxes in JT65 makes no difference either. It WILL close a miniature 3 volt PCB relay, powered from two 1.5 volt cells. For now that is how I will have to operate it. I suppose I could post it to you to try on your own rig, or even drop it in as you aren't far from me at all. Did you sort a transformer out for it? Cheers Jeff.

A meter shows the connector plug to the PTT on the rig change to closed circuit *IF* it's not connected to the rig.
    A optic isolator should read like a Transistor junction. How are you measuring it as a closed connection ?

Sounds like the 4N25 may be bad as W9GB pointed out. Or the polarity is reversed.
    Last edited by KA9JLM; 04-24-2012 at 05:42 PM.

I am just putting a DVM set to read continuity across the PTT plug, without the plug connected to the rig. It shows opened and closed circuit in tune with pressing the Test PTT button in JT65. But when connected to the rig it does not trigger the rig's internal relay. Shorting the rigs socket does trigger the internal relay and it goes correctly to TX. I have a semiconductor tester (this one: http://www.peakelec.co.uk/acatalog/jz_dca55.html ) not sure if I can test an opto coupler with it, or if it will indeed test whilst still on the PCB? I don't really fancy trying to lift it and risk making things even worse as I have no replacement. If I reverse the PTT lead on the board of the USB device the rig goes straight to TX when I plug the lead in, even without using the PTT test button in the JT65 software.

Exclamation

1: Does it work for PSK?
    2: Sure you got the leads plugged into the right sockets ?
    3: Do you have the XP audio properties setup correctly (if it works in PSK then you do)
    4: Have you installed the drivers ? (not sure if you already answered that)
    5: Do you have the manual for the databox, if not i can email the PDF to you.

My 902DM is'nt here Chris, still waiting for a transformer i'm afraid, if i get it back before you sort your problem out, you're very welcome to bring it over.

Jeff
    M1BCM

PS: Check your vox level .. VERY important !

Nope, sorry Jeff, tried that, no joy at all. Moving the USB device from PC socket to PC socket gives the device a different comm port number as I would expect, but in no port does it do more tghan flash the LED on when the tset button is pressed. A meter shows the connector plug to the PTT on the rig change to closed circuit *IF* it's not connected to the rig. When it IS connected to the rig it doesn't cause the rig's relay to close. Altering the opptions boxes in JT65 makes no difference either. It WILL close a miniature 3 volt PCB relay, powered from two 1.5 volt cells. For now that is how I will have to operate it. I suppose I could post it to you to try on your own rig, or even drop it in as you aren't far from me at all. Did you sort a transformer out for it? Cheers Jeff.
    Last edited by M1BCM; 04-24-2012 at 08:10 PM. Reason: afterthought to add

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast