ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-rl
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-innov
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-Waters
    Sean Ross lives in Barnesville, Georgia with his wife and son. He has lived there most of his life a

Default mfj dsp784b

I have hearing problems and see a speech pathologist and was wanting to cleanup things on my kenwood TS450SAT

how good in use are these units as i have a chance at a used one to purchase.

I was going to feed the auido to the dsp748b and then into a dual channel mfj618 intelligibility unit.

Will this really clean up qrm especially on the crowded 10 meter band with illegal ops from south of the border.

I will use these with bose noice cancelling headset.

for the tx I was going to use a ten tec rf speech processor and mfj ham pro eq/ conditioner and mc60 or mc90 mic.

any advice appreciated
    KK4CWA

It really depends on what you want it to do.

I've used one for about three years now, and it does several things very well.

1) Noise reduction

2) Weak signal CW

3) Weak signal digital

4) Wiping out adjacent signal QRM

It is less helpful on phone, though careful tweaking can bring a weak signal in more clearly. And the noise reduction helps as well.

I like it a lot with my older rigs (FT-890 and FT-900), although mine will soon be "surplus" as I scored a good deal on a Timewave unit.

Bill
    Member: Backyard Engineering Group

I have one and it does help on phone. It is outstanding on CW. On phone you can peak certain frequencies for more clarity and it has automatic notch on folks that throw a carrier in the middle of your QSO. Somebody else comes on near that bozo and starts with a carrier that one will also be notched out. It will automatically notch out up to six individual tones. It also turns anybody that is trying to operate CW into a few clicks but you won't hear them. You will not need the MFJ618 if you get the MFJ784B. The DSP unit can be customized for your preference. It just depends on what you want it to do. It has a steep learning curve with a helpful manual. You can download the manual on the MFJ site and take a look at it. I would also try the DSP unit out prior to buying it. See if you're comfortable with it. Some folks like the Timewave unit because it seems to be easier to operate. Honestly, I still haven't figured out all the stuff the MFJ784B can do and I have had it for quiet awhile.
    Gary