ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-innov
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-sarc
ad: l-rl

Default Looking for repair shop that can handle old Galaxy V transceiver

Would appreciate info on a radio shop that can still address repair issues with a Galaxy V MkII tube type transceiver. (Shipping two-ways with power supply is not an issue.)

If you have personal experience with such a shop, I'd appreciate a note.

Thanks!

Allen -

It comes down to time to troubleshoot and your wilingness to pay the bill ($$)
    Identical to repair/restoration issues with muscle cars or any automobile over 10-15 years old.
    Selecting the right person, who knows this vacuum tube era -- is KEY.

Amateur Radio dealers use to have large service dept. that did his work.
    eBay and other Internet avenues now permit junk to be sold -- for inflated prices (buyer loses).
    The Best service techs doing this work -- are usually retired and have backlogs --

GO TO eHam.net Review Section --123 are listed, some with their hourly rates.
    MANY limit their repairs to specific models. PARTS can be an issue if the radio was CB-hacked.
    http://www.eham.net/reviews/products/26

Here is my short list, of who you should talk to, BEFORE shipping any WRL/Hy-Gain Galaxy radio.

Burghardt's
    http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/2463

Jeff Covelli, usually handles Drake -- routinely has backlog.
    http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/4908
    Last edited by W9GB; 04-15-2012 at 07:21 PM.
    Nullius in verba

I think the key concept here is 'learning' how to fix it yourself. That's how I've done things over the years, including a Galaxy V sitting on my table at home. I would go as far to say that most BA aficionados do their own repairs, as most are simple. It is the restoration . . . when you strip the radio down to its constituent parts, chean the chassis, and re-build it while checking components like resistors and caps for out-of-tolerance values.

If you are not willing to spend the time to learn how to troubleshoot, I would strongly suggest sticking to the newer gear, most of which still have parts on hand at the factory (distributor) shop. Sell the Galaxy V to someone willing to learn.

Gary WA7KKP

I think the key concept here is 'learning' how to fix it yourself. That's how I've done things over the years, including a Galaxy V sitting on my table at home. I would go as far to say that most BA aficionados do their own repairs, as most are simple. It is the restoration . . . when you strip the radio down to its constituent parts, clean the chassis, and re-build it while checking components like resistors and caps for out-of-tolerance values.

If you are not willing to spend the time to learn how to troubleshoot, I would strongly suggest sticking to the newer gear, most of which still have parts on hand at the factory (distributor) shop. Sell the Galaxy V to someone willing to learn.

Gary WA7KKP

Quote Originally Posted by WA7KKP View Post
    I think the key concept here is 'learning' how to fix it yourself.
    I know how to fix plenty of things, but I don't have an interest in putting in the hours necessary to learn this area of electronics. This old unit has some sentimental value, and I'd like to keep it operational.

Quote Originally Posted by W9GB View Post
    Here is my short list, of who you should talk to, BEFORE shipping any WRL/Hy-Gain Galaxy radio.
    Thank you, just what I was looking for. I appreciate it!!

SanDiego, People's Republic of California FEMA District 9

It won't be cheap, good luck they are a fun radio.
    When it's time, and it may be sooner than you think.