ad: l-assoc
ad: l-sarc
ad: l-rl
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-innov
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-Waters

It turned to be the 1.5 ohm resistor. It was open. and burnt.
    I replaced it with a 1.5 ohm half watt resistor. (half watt is ok???)
    Sounds like R15, which leads from 572B grids and to Antenna Relay.

w9gb
    Nullius in verba

R15? If it was my amp I'd want a metal oxide in there, and at a higher wattage than what Heath used.
    Adding Back to back protection diodes across the multimeter coil might be a good idea.

If a tube flashes and blows the resistor while you're measuring grid current, I suspect it could take
    out the meter too. Maybe someone else can comment, since i am more familiar with the SB-220 meter
    circuit and I could whistling Dixie, and the schematic I'm using is a very poor copy.

But at a quick glance that looks like the grid current metering resistor. Nothing good takes out that resistor.

Pete

Ok, well I thought that the 1.5 ohm might be the problem that's why I asked you to check it. You may want to up the wattage on it and use a good 1% or 2% rated one. They are pretty cheap these days. You should be OK for a while if you don't hold key down too long. Glad you didn't have to ship it out. Now you have 90MA idle and that is right on the money.

Thanks again for the help, I will upgrade the resistor!!

Quote Originally Posted by K1ZJH View Post
    R15? If it was my amp I'd want a metal oxide in there, and at a higher wattage than what Heath used.
    Adding Back to back protection diodes across the multimeter coil might be a good idea.

If a tube flashes and blows the resistor while you're measuring grid current, I suspect it could take
    out the meter too. Maybe someone else can comment, since i am more familiar with the SB-220 meter
    circuit and I could whistling Dixie, and the schematic I'm using is a very poor copy.

But at a quick glance that looks like the grid current metering resistor. Nothing good takes out that resistor.

Pete
     Indeed Pete. . . There are two possibilities when a grid resistor blows. To find out which one it was remove the tubes and measure the anode to grid leakage current at 2x the rated anode potential with a breakdown voltage tester (BVT). If the measured current is less than 10uA, the tube did not flash over. Instead, the burst in grid-I that blew the resistor was caused by an unloaded condition - for which there are also two possibilities. 1. the antenna became disconnected or 2. there was an intermittent burst of VHF energy that was blocked by the HF-tank -- which acts as a LPF. To discourage VHF parasitic oscillation, reduce the Q of the VHF suppressors It's also a good idea to incorporate extensive glitch protection in any amplifier.
    Rich, AG6K, [url]www.somis.org[/url] 805-386-3734

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2