Callsign
ad: wmr-top

View Poll Results: What Type of ISP do you use?

Voters
92. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dial-up

2 2.17%
  • DSL

20 21.74%
  • Cable

50 54.35%
  • Satellite

4 4.35%
  • Cellular

6 6.52%
  • AT&T U-Verse

4 4.35%
  • Verizon FiOS

7 7.61%
  • Other Fiber

7 7.61%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: What type of ISP do you use?

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-innov
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-WarrenG

Quote Originally Posted by KB3UHP View Post
    I can tell you why you don't want to host. It's a royal pain in the @ss. I used to have (can't even remember exactly) about 8 computers at home including a couple of servers. I hosted an email server, a web and app server, dns server, etc.
    I did it too. Yes, it was a lot of work, but not horrible. I ran three full-service domains, two for businesses and one for me. But, I didn't run Windoze, so it was relatively easy. I ran Solaris 9 on a Sparc-20-like Axil. One little pizza-box shaped server. I've tried selling it (all I want in trade is some useful ham radio item *anything*), but no one wants it.

I use Comcast Cable here in Maryland since their internet remains above 20 MBs at all times. We also use a ROKU device which gives us hundreds of movie and information channels via wireless internet and dropped the movie pay channels.
    At one time I suffered from Kleptomania but now I take something for it.

I have dialup!

I started with dial-up ( 300 baud ). Then went to 1200 baud. And so on and eventually to 56 k.

Then when it became available I upgraded to one-way cable ( cable downloads, phone-line uploads ) which was not very reliable, but it was better than dial-up.

Then I upgraded to two-way cable as soon as it became available. Much better.

Then I moved and got stuck with DISH/Hughes Net as the only option better than dial-up. Very slow and very unreliable. Sometimes better than dial-up, but so bad that I sold my house at a loss and moved to a neighborhood with cable ( okay, so there were other reasons for moving ).

Now I have Time Warner cable ( TWC ) for internet only ( their TV service would not work ). Very fast and quite reliable. But pricey. $67.90 a month for 20 mbs. Of course it could be faster, but you pick the speed you want and TWC installs a device that limits the "flow" to what you are paying for.

My daughter and son-in-law ( in the DC area ) have fiber optics. That is even better.
    Can't get that here, yet.
    73, Peter, N4UP

Using Comcast Cable here and recenly they increased our internet to 30 MBs which was 20 MBs before. Now we can stream movies without delays and also, QRZ.Com pops up with information much faster as I work stations, especially in contests. After getting the new Flex Radio 6000 series transceiver, we will be using a "cloud type" storage and update service.
    At one time I suffered from Kleptomania but now I take something for it.

we´re using long reach shdsl which gives us 1.1mbit at about 90$ per month. thats germany.. hooray and thank you "deutsche telekom"
    we´re just sitting next to wiesbaden, which is the state´s capital city and all we get from the german telekom (nearly monopolist) is 384kbit dsl or nothing, depends on what street you live in the neighborhood. a small isp here in town tells zu upgrade the shdsl lines to vdsl but those nice guys from our beloved telekom do everything against it.. thank you again!! psk31 seems faster sometimes.. went all the way from 28k dialup to 16mbit which was all nice for its times but this here now just sucks!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4