ad: l-sarc
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-innov
ad: l-Waters

Default Ameritron AL-811 Mods etc?

Just obtained this and was wondering if this amp too, Like the SB-200 should have a "glitch" resistor added? Plus any other helpful hints? It works like it is though.

Well I opened newly obtained but heavily used AL-811 and look what I found inside! Former owner mentioned he did switch bands in the middle of transmitting. Would that do this? I tested the burned looking 100Pf Cap and it tested good. But will probably replace it. Suggestions?
    Attached Images Attached Images

The caps are in series with the resistor. Sure looks like some heavy RF voltage hit that suppressor. I'd replace both caps, on either side.
    If one cap was stressed, then the other one was too.

BTW, I would have kept the SB-200 over an amp using 811A tubes.

I would replace the entire circuit board. Carbon arcs have a tendency to create more arcing in the future. This is not a good thing.

I would NOT use the amp until the board is replaced. JMO
    "If someone tells you he believes in and talks to an invisible bunny named Harvey, you put him on medication and a regimen of therapy. If someone tells you he believes in and talks to God, well, that's perfectly acceptable. Why that's the case is impossible for me to fathom." - WP2XX

"He's dead, Jim. You take his Tricorder and I'll get his wallet."

"The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"

Or you could flip it 180 degrees, and move the parts to the undamaged section of the board. It was designed to be used in the
    811H four tuber as well
    Actually, by the time you pay MFJ shipping charges, buying a new board probably wouldn't be that outrageous.
    Last edited by K1ZJH; 04-13-2012 at 01:27 AM.

I went ahead and did a 180 degree flip and put parts in unused area. New board is around $37.00 I'll use it as is for now.
    I sold the SB-200 because I needed the funds. Then I wound up getting this 811 for $300.00 so not a bad deal.

Thought I would show an after shot of work done. 100Pf Caps on both side of previously damaged area replaced. Also 10Ohm 10 watt glitch resistor added in HV line as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thats the circuit I developed in the 80's when MOX resistors were fairly new and detailed it in the mid 90's when the AMPS reflector started. My need at the time was for 6M conversions. Guess who tried to poo-poo it and then copied it?

Lately Ive been experimenting with Ohmite OY series 2W resistors and have been pleased so far using them in suppressors just like carbon comps. Using a pair of 100 Ohm in parallel gives some overhead especially with 572B's and others where the parasitic is closer to 10M than later designs. Mouser has them at $1.28 a pop.

Carl

Quote Originally Posted by KJ4AQU View Post
    Well I opened newly obtained but heavily used AL-811 and look what I found inside! Former owner mentioned he did switch bands in the middle of transmitting. Would that do this? I tested the burned looking 100Pf Cap and it tested good. But will probably replace it. Suggestions?
     It is a mistake to assume that the Tune-C arced because the previous owner switched bands while transmitting since as soon as a bandswitch is moved the tank immediately goes out of resonance and there is little V in the tank. A more likely reason that a Tune-C arcs is the presence of VHF energy. If you are curious to what's going on here, couple a dipmeter to either side of the DC blocker cap and observe the sharpness of the dip c. 95MHz. This is the AL-811's anode's parasitic resonance. - note - G-G amps are only self-neutralizing below their grid-resonant freq. 4, 811As have 800Ωs of feedback XC at 95MHz and their grids resonate c. 75MHz (KM1H) so there's enough feedback to allow them to oscillate at their parasitic anode resonance of 95MHz. To reduce the chances of VHF oscillation, reduce the VHF-Q of the VHF suppressors. This lowers the VHF RL on the anodes of the 811As and that reduces their VHF gain. You can expect 28MHz power out to drop c. 2%. . . . An arced Tune-C is a good thing because it saved your bandswitch. . . . Parasitic osc. puts high EMF stress on filaments due to the unloaded condition. I would add a glitch R to the HV+ circuit that will limit peak I to 150A or less. I have seen an AL-811 with shattered 811A filaments because it did not have a glitch-R when it oscillated at 95MHz.
    Murphy was right.
    Rich, AG6K, [url]www.somis.org[/url] 805-386-3734

Hello, my name is Nick - PP8DA
    - Please can you explain me what for is a 10 ohm 10 W glitch resistor is good for in the HV line.
    I run the same amp for more than a year with the orginal valves up to 550 W but never
    above Grid I more than 140 max 150 mA.Thank you for your time and your explanation.
    Direct replay please including a smal drawind if possoble
    Vy73s de Nick
    n.s.allay@hotmail.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast