Callsign
ad: davisrf
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Petiton started to void HOA Antenna Restrictions.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-innov
ad: l-Heil

Contribute
to QRZ

Quote Originally Posted by K1VSK View Post
    I may be the only one who doesn't want the government telling me, my community, my town or my neighborhood how to manage our aesthetics. If I choose to live there, I also don't need the Federal government fixing my self-inflicted limitations. It has bigger problems than managing my neighborhood skyline.
    This argument is rubbish! It doesn't even make any sense. If this type of proposal were enacted as law, the government would be expanding and protecting our rights to operate a ham station, not "telling us what to do"! If you don't like the aesthetics of my dipole, it's really simple... DON'T PUT ONE UP!!!

Quote Originally Posted by WK5X View Post
    This is an easy one: If you want to put up an antenna, don't buy property in an area with a HOA.
    You are right! Easy!

Good Luck

Much of the Public does not know or care about Ham Radio ( Until a Disaster occurs of course ! ).

I have just used an HT on IRLP or Echolink ( HT or Laptop to distant Repeaters ) to maintain comms with Many Ham friends across the World.

While not pure Ham Radio it is one way to get around these HOA's.

KH6/G3SEA

I lived in a condo development years ago, my wife couldn't put some flower pots on the deck, I couldn't expand the deck on my own property, cause they had to be the same size as everyone else's.. couldn't put different windows, although the ones that were there were very inefficient and outdated. So I sold and moved, where I could put whatever I wanted.

When people stop buying into developments with HOAs etc.. prices will go down, and when they have to resort to section 8 housing, then they will realize how dumb some of their stuff really is.

You can try and change the law to obliterate HOA rules, involving antennas etc.. But the fact is that our antennas, towers, wires etc.. are not the prettiest things in the world, and when you are in close proximity of your neighbor, like your door is 5 ft from your neighbors like in many of these developments, your neighbors won't be too happy.

JMHO

george

Quote Originally Posted by N2ZNC View Post
    But the fact is that our antennas, towers, wires etc.. are not the prettiest things in the world.
    george
    That reminds me of some of the people that are seen at Wal-Mart. lol
    And they are not banned from being seen in public.

But many of them should be...

That may be why the HOA does not want Wal-marts in the neighborhood.
    Last edited by KA9JLM; 04-12-2012 at 07:25 PM.
    "Theory only works perfect in a vacuum." KA9JLM Don

Quote Originally Posted by K1VSK View Post
    I may be the only one who doesn't want the government telling me, my community, my town or my neighborhood how to manage our aesthetics. If I choose to live there, I also don't need the Federal government fixing my self-inflicted limitations. It has bigger problems than managing my neighborhood skyline.
    Actually you have it backwards. I don't want my neighbors/HOA/CC&Rs using their self-appointed power from overruling existing federal law and existing federal jurisdiction.

It's really simple in my view. Private contracts cannot override laws or assume government power. That's the law and the courts have enforced that for decades. The FCC has legal authority, provided by Congress, to have sole jurisdiction over telecommunication matters. The FCC used that power to invalidate all CC&Rs/HOAs for satellite dishes and TV antennas. They should do the same for amateur radio. 73 Jim K6OK

While I strongly favor FCC requiring a reasonable accommodation for amateur antennas that might be used for EMCOMM purposes, and simultaneously opening the door for a bit more freedom for general hamming, I don't favor eliminating 'all' restrictions. I think the pre-emption must be limited, and workable. Otherwise, yes, every realtor and developer this side of Venus will be lined up with blood in their eye.

If you want a new home, or a newer one in most places, CC+R's are a fact of life. In some places, it's not as big a burden as older tracts, where the CC+R's have expired or were never put in place are available. But even in an old city like this one, it took a long time to find a house, and if I needed one that was more wheelchair ready, I'd have been pretty much out in the cold as far as antennas go. One townhouse developer, desperate to make a sale, agreed to let me have a HyTower at the back of the property, as long as there were no beams or wires. But, I had other concerns about the townhouse, so I moved on.
    EchoLink, IRLP, Allstar and DSTAR linking - adding interest to repeaters worldwide 24X7

None of this would be necessary if HOA and CC&R were reasonable on something as simple as an antenna. It must also be noted that HOA have become a plague on our options in many areas. It is just about impossible to find a place to live that does not have the rules of an HOA over it. Most HOA forbid any transmissions of any kind and if you can transmit and you are believed to be the cause of interference (in their minds) then they and the affected party can sue you and you must pay their attorney fees. Since when did HOA become an authority on RFI, TVI and other electronic issues.
    The fact is the restrictions on radio amateur antennas is not unlike the now forbidden rules that excluded Blacks, Jews and the Irish from buying a home. It's a discriminatory act plain and simple. To resolve this require our govering bodies to stand up and do the right things as they have done in the past. It did take them a very long time to get around to the actions they did take but it is hoped they learned a leason on how to do this and when it's the best time to do so. Now would be good.
    Gary
    Last edited by KO6WB; 04-12-2012 at 07:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KZ5R View Post

Unreasonable and unnecessary land use restrictions are now near universal in prohibiting the erection of antennas essential for amateur radio communications in most residential developments constructed in recent decades.

We request the Federal Communications Commission to take whatever steps are necessary to immediately void all existing private land use restrictions dealing with antennas used for the transmission or reception of radio signals and to disallow any future creation of such restrictions by private homeowner’s and property owner’s associations.

To sign the petition, go to http://www.change.org/petitions/fede...nd-developers#
    Is this what you are fighting to allow? In any neighborhood? In any place? Out my back window? Without restriction of any kind?

This former ARRL Section Manager shows an excellent example of what is possible.
    Does the ARRL HQ stand behind its current/former Section Managers as example of what they (ARRL) represent?
    I'm just asking the question. Not making a judgement.

Can we submit this image to the FCC as an example of what we, Hams, are asking for and what the ARRL endorses as what it has in mind? Just asking to what we mean by "Unreasonable and unnecessary". Is this "reasonable" in the mind of the ARRL? Is this "reasonable" in the minds of those who will sign the petition? Is this "essential for amateur radio communications "? Just asking.

http://www.wa6mhz.org/

wa6mhz.png
    Last edited by KE9ZM; 04-12-2012 at 08:32 PM.

Another angle to view this from...

Amateur radio is taught and promoted by youth groups such as the Boy Scouts of America. Would a child living at home be expected to move in order to participate in amateur radio? This child may live in an HOA with parents that are not active in amateur radio but still support their involvement. This is a scenario that could not be foreseen at the time the parents purchased the home. I wasn't licensed until I was 24, but my father was licensed at the age of 14. At the time he was licensed he did not have any HOAs to contend with. If we expect the hobby to grow we should look to the youth to carry it into the future.

Dan

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast