Callsign
ad: giga-rw

Thread: Would using multable counterpoise's/tiger tales on an HT yeild any benefit?

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-innov
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-Waters

Default Would using multable counterpoise's/tiger tales on an HT yeild any benefit?

Forgive me it's raining, our local 2m repeater is down, HF is so/so, my 10m backpacking dipole is finished, I can't find the parts to work on my 2m bicycle mobile and I've just spent all my money online at HRO. I now have nothing left to do but ask stupid questions.
    I'm well aware that using a 19' piece of wire helps your HT's crummy ducky work better. The thing I'm wondering is if I used say 4 pieces of wire 19' long each would I see any benefit over the 1 wire?
    Also I just ordered a 7w Icom ic-v82. Can anyone recommend a good not super expensive 12' or less BNC antenna for it? The stock one is supposed to be junk. Thanks!

K7POC

I'm sure you meant to type 19" rather than 19'. Lack of answers suggests to me that everyone pictured you hauling around a handful of 19 foot wires and is still too stunned to type a reply. It took me a while, too.

I'd say the answer to your question is "No, one tiger tail will do quite well." Arranging four of them outward in a spoke pattern (like a ground plane antenna) might - maybe - work insignificantly better, but is just not practical. It would look about as funny as hauling around a bunch of 19 foot wires, and you'd probably put an eye out, too.

Try this, though: Fasten just one of those extra 19" pieces of wire to a BNC connector to use in place of your stock rubber duckie. Can't get a 1/4 wave antenna any cheaper than that. I've used stranded AWG12 for this purpose. With insulation on it, the wire is about stiff enough to keep from completely flopping over, but will stay upright better if you can put some shrink tubing (or salvaged insulation from some larger wire) over the lower third. That sort of flexible whip is not so hazardous to your eyes, and it will outperform your stock antenna, guaranteed. It will last a long time, too . . . or until the second time you use it like a leash.
    Last edited by K9ZMD; 04-13-2012 at 09:42 AM.
    Gary, K9ZMD

19' Opps! Yes I did mean 19" inches. 19 feet oh man that would be funny! Really I was thinking about mounting the HT on the upper part of my backpack so those extra radials would not be in my way. I'll order a solder BNC connector and making one of thous 2m 1/4 wave whips. Been wanting to try that for a long time actually. After all I do have a thin old SS antenna whip laying around and a friend with an mfj antenna analyzer!

Maybe you could put this flexible GP antenna on top of a 19 ft mast attached to the backpack with coax running down to the rig inside ?
    Awkward , but a great signal. Just watch out for low hanging branches along the trail !

Quote Originally Posted by K7POC View Post
    19' Opps! Yes I did mean 19" inches. 19 feet oh man that would be funny! Really I was thinking about mounting the HT on the upper part of my backpack so those extra radials would not be in my way. I'll order a solder BNC connector and making one of thous 2m 1/4 wave whips. Been wanting to try that for a long time actually. After all I do have a thin old SS antenna whip laying around and a friend with an mfj antenna analyzer!
    73.....JD, FISTS #3853,cc 455,SKCC # 1395,tribune #12,
    Official US Taxpayer

I don't think you will gain anything with 4 counterpoises vice 1, unless you can separate them and get them spread out in perhaps a 360degree. Not too practical when the antenna attach point is at the top of the radio. You would risk putting both your eyes out!

What we are doing by adding the counterpoise is essentially creating a vertical dipole.

I like to use a very flexible wire, as thin as you like, so it rolls up easily and tucks out of the way, when it is not convenient.
    "RF gotta go somewhere!"

Okay, let me toss this one out for wiser heads than mine to consider:
    I love my 19 inch tiger tail, it definitely enhances 2-meter performance.
    Considering that my HF rig only "sees" the resonant wire on a fan dipole ...
    Were I to have TWO tiger tails on my hand held, one cut for 2 meters, one for 70 cm, would I experience the same phenomenon -- the talkie would "see" only the appropriate length of dangle wire?
    (You must understand I get many, many good ideas ... most of which aren't worth much ...)