Callsign
ad: giga-rw

Thread: Will FT-8800 do VHF/UHF Narrowbanding?

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-rl
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-innov

Default Will FT-8800 do VHF/UHF Narrowbanding?

Hello to all hams here,
    I have a difficult to understand from the manual will do FT-8800 VHF/UHF Narrowbanding? As I understand from the FCC website is is important from Jan 2013.
    Thanks to all
    Marin

If I'm not mistaken, that ruling is for commercial VHF/UHF radios only - and doesn't apply to the Ham frequencies.

If it does; then we all would be in big trouble . . .
    [COLOR=#000000][FONT=verdana]“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.” Groucho Marx[/FONT][/COLOR]

Marin -

As KI6USW mentioned, Amateur Radio in the United States (FCC Part 97) does not currently have Narrow band requirements.

Land Mobile Radio (LMR) Service (FCC Part 90) in the United States DOES have a Narrowbanding Program -- this program was announced in 2004 during the Bush Administration.
    This program is currently underway with a 2013 deadline. FCC web page on Narrowbanding:
    http://transition.fcc.gov/pshs/publi...nding-faq.html

While commercial LMR certified radios purchased in the last ten years are likely dual-mode 25/12.5 kHz, older equipment may need to be replaced.
    This is why a large amount of older equipment (repeaters, mobile radios) from government agencies (first responders, fire, police, EMT) and business users are on surplus market.

Narrowbanding FCC Mandate
    In an effort to promote greater spectrum efficiency, the FCC is requiring all Public Safety and Industrial/Business licensees using 25 kHz VHF and UHF radios systems migrate to minimum 12.5 kHz efficiency by January 1, 2013

http://wirelessradio.net/

====
    This upgrading (narrow banding) by Part 90 services, will end the illegal usage of Part 97 radios (FT-8800) by some agencies for Part 90 service usage.
    Many of these Part 90 users are also converting from analog to digital modes (P25, etc.).

w9gb
    Last edited by W9GB; 04-11-2012 at 01:07 PM.
    Nullius in verba

While narrowbanding is not required in the amateur radio service to answer your question directly yes the 8800 will do narrowband (12.5khz).
    There are sheep. There are wolves who prey on the sheep. There are sheepdogs who protect the sheep from the wolves. God protect those of us who are sheepdogs.

Thank you to all,
    now I understand what is the real situation, I have idea to visit USA, that why for me was interesting what kind of radio I can buy /new or used/ and use without problems, because I want everything to be ok with the law.
    Once again thank you for your answers my friends, wish you successful week and all the best for you!
    73 Marin
    LZ1MAK/KC2YZL

Different regions have different frequencies available, even if they are both "2m", and I believe most radios have different region specific programming (which can usually be changed via the service menu).
    If you buy a radio from the U.S., then you should be fine, but if you buy one in Bulgaria, check the specs against the U.S. privileges to make sure you are operating legally while you are here.

SPN:

Any radio that he purchases for 2-meters in Bulgaria will be legal in the United States. However, if it is programmed only for Region I, then the radio will only operate in the 144 MHz to 146 MHz segment which is all that is authorized in Europe and Africa. Region II and Region III have the entire 144 MHz to 148 MHz segment.

Also, almost all FM operating on 2-meters in North America utilizes +/- 5 kHz deviation and not +/- 2.5 kHz deviation.

Glen, K9STH