ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-AmericanRadio
ad: l-BCInc
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-innov
ad: l-rl

Quote Originally Posted by K8MHZ View Post
    The last time I used toll roads was when I was working in Gary, Indiana.

It cost 15 cents to get on and a quarter to get off, but saved me twenty minutes of travel time.

If I felt ripped by the 40 cents I spent, I would have just took the other (badly maintained) expressway.
    now it's the other way around the expressway is in good shape and the toll road isn't. They've raised the prices and sold the road to a company based in Spain.
    "If it aint broke don't fix it. "If you can't fix it get a bigger hammer."

73,Tom

Quote Originally Posted by K9ASE View Post
    now it's the other way around the expressway is in good shape and the toll road isn't. They've raised the prices and sold the road to a company based in Spain.
    I think that is what is happening here, At least it was when people voted it out, last year.

They slipped it in with no Tax Payer voting required. They just say this is how it is going to be.

You just got a Pay Decrease, if you work and drive in Houston. And your taxes are not going down.

By the way, we are going to lay off teachers, and fire the bus drivers that have students smoking Pot on their School bus route.

No wonder teachers want to carry their Gun to school, In a gun and drug free zone.

School Buses will be required to pay tolls also, So property tax for schools will go Up.

When does the BS end ?
    "Theory only works perfect in a vacuum." KA9JLM Don

The Eastern States in VK have them,it seems it's very trendy!
    They never took off in VK6,for some reason,but it's probably only a matter of time before they export that silly idea to us!
    There are a lot of Politicians who would love to get their hands into our pockets a bit more!

73,VK6ZGO

Quote Originally Posted by K8MHZ View Post
    The last time I used toll roads was when I was working in Gary, Indiana.

It cost 15 cents to get on and a quarter to get off, but saved me twenty minutes of travel time.

If I felt ripped by the 40 cents I spent, I would have just took the other (badly maintained) expressway.
    Yeah, here is is more like 1 on 2 off. Not a big deal for me as I only use the toll road once in awhile. I would hate to use it to commute.
    73 de KB3LAZ

In lieu of achievement we have mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by N2EY View Post

Two hot wars plus the cold war. Plus benefits for veterans and their families.

How much do you think it costs to run just one aircraft carrier? It's basically a small city that floats and has an airport which services very advanced aircraft.
    It's not possible to defund the military. The US economy can't consume and produce without the presence of the military-industrial complex.

Also, the US military has a strong reciprocal political relationship with the putative political party of most participants on this board. manus manum lavat.

73, Jordan

The toll road/toll bridge has always been popular among the anti-tax savants in our population. The political claim is that they make 'the users' pay for it, instead of the poor, overburdened taxpayers. I do see a few cases where the toll is probably justified - the one MHZ mentioned and it's counterpart in Kansas south of Topeka. I think the portion of toll road in Kansas between KC and Topeka should be just another section of Interstate Highway. Did less Federal funds go into building it than the rest of the highway? I honestly think that the other 50 states should build toll booths, and charge people from Kansas to drive on their roads. Or, the other states could just contract with the states bordering Kansas to collect fees on cars leaving the state.

The problem is that tolls almost never go away. The tolls on the Golden Gate Bridge were supposed to be only temporary, and they are still here over 70 years later. My father used to gripe about it 50 years ago. And, if everybody carves out their little piece of Interstate Highway and starts charging tolls, the system will be destroyed, and Americans will have lost a lot of their freedom of movement. It will cost you a couple grand to drive across the country, and that's not including gas!

I've never liked tolls on major travel routes of any kind. If you want to add an Express lane to your urban freeways and allow people to use it for a fee, that's different. But there are too many places where 'you can't get there from here' without the Interstates. Even in some fairly populous places, all the gas stations are on the Interstate - not on the two lane roads. There aren't many gas stations on U.S. 50 between the Tahoe area and Utah, and many times and days there are far fewer. The same is true for vast stretches of the west and midwest.

The problem with the 'users' paying for it is that the fees collected are usually many times the user's share of the cost. Toll revenues either become part of the general fund or are used to replace general fund dollars that would otherwise be spent on roads.
    EchoLink, IRLP, Allstar and DSTAR linking - adding interest to repeaters worldwide 24X7

I think that building a toll road not using Tax payers money then charging to drive on it may be acceptable.

Building a road using tax payers money then charging the taxpayer to use it is not acceptable.
    They should at least let tax payers that paid to build it drive on it free or at reduced cost.

Most of us pay close to 50% of what we make in taxes and fees, in one way or another.

We already pay taxes and fees for the water that we drink.
    How long will it be before we pay a fee or tax for the air we breathe ?

We use 375 million gallons per day or 136875 million gallons per year. Average taxes are around 0.50 so 68,437 million dollars from taxes. Not that much to take care of all the roads in the whole country, so this doesn't cover much large new construction, almost all goes into maintenance and general operating expenses. So new large project construction is covered by special financing, bonds, use tax (tolls), or stimulus money. Tolls are perhaps the fairest in my opinion. Sure the toll will end when the bond is paid off.....

Q. Will tolling end when the project is paid off?
    A. The legislation authorizing tolling on the SR 520 Bridge does not specify an end date. It is expected that tolls will continue on the bridge at least until the 30 and 40 year bonds are paid off. Revenue from tolling the bridge will only be used as authorized by the Legislature for bond payments, operations and maintenance within the SR 520 corridor.
    Leroy
    Be sure to listen for my beacon on 28.278.8 MHz

Quote Originally Posted by WA4OTD View Post
    We use 375 million gallons per day or 136875 million gallons per year. Average taxes are around 0.50 so 68,437 million dollars from taxes. Not that much to take care of all the roads in the whole country, so this doesn't cover much large new construction, almost all goes into maintenance and general operating expenses. So new large project construction is covered by special financing, bonds, use tax (tolls), or stimulus money. Tolls are perhaps the fairest in my opinion. Sure the toll will end when the bond is paid off.....

Q. Will tolling end when the project is paid off?
    A. The legislation authorizing tolling on the SR 520 Bridge does not specify an end date. It is expected that tolls will continue on the bridge at least until the 30 and 40 year bonds are paid off. Revenue from tolling the bridge will only be used as authorized by the Legislature for bond payments, operations and maintenance within the SR 520 corridor.

That makes sense, on how it should be.

The road that they are wanting to turn into a Toll Road here, has been built and paid for.

And many people must use it to get to work, So that they can pay their taxes.

That is why I quoted the Wisconsis Q/A they are not going to stop collecting the toll.

It might be fairer to eliminate the gas tax and have an ipass that collects for every road you drive on as you drive......

Quote Originally Posted by KA9JLM View Post
    That makes sense, on how it should be.

The road that they are wanting to turn into a Toll Road here, has been built and paid for.

And many people must use it to get to work, So that they can pay their taxes.
    Leroy
    Be sure to listen for my beacon on 28.278.8 MHz

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3