ad: l-Waters
ad: l-Heil
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-rl
ad: l-WarrenG

Contribute
to QRZ

Default I've got a stupid problem

I'm using Windows 7 and I can't get my external speakers to produce sound. I can plug a headset into the correct socket at the rear of the PC and listen to Youtube OK.

The external speakers are powered by a cube which is about 15V and a cable connects the speakers to the connection at the rear of the PC, the speakers have a volume control. They are working because I can get feedback noise and are set at full volume

I think the problem could be a setting in Windows 7, volume slider is OK, it indicates sound is going to the speakers, but there's no sound. I never had this problem with XP, so is there some setting I need to investigate ? Surely if I get sound into a headset I should get sound into speakers. I did say it was a stupid problem !

Mel G0GQK

Beautiful Downtown Colorado. (Montrose, SW corner)

My set up works fine, looks to me like you have a bad cable or connecetor.

Are you using a stereo plug?

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

Try going to:

Control Panel
    Hardware and Sound
    Manage Audio Devices

See if you have multiple playback devices. You might have the wrong one set as default. I had that exact problem with what sounds like a similar external sound system.

Savanna, Illinois, the west coast of Illinois that is.

My spiffy new HP tower is running windows 7 too.

When I first set it up I plugged my digital input Boston Acoustics BA735 powered speakers with the powered subwoofer in to the digital output jack in the back of the computer and did not hear anything.

I plugged my analog headphones in the front and the music was there no problem.

I went to the bottom of the screen and in the task bar I foundthe speaker icon and right clicked on that. A dialog box pops up then that says:

Open volume mixer
    --------------------------
    Playback devices
    Recording devices
    Sounds
    ----------------------------
    Volume control options

When you click on the one marked Playback Options you get a new dialog box that shows the play back devices you can use. To switch between the speakers and say the headphones you have to select that icon and make it the default device.

This advancement really sucks as far as I am concerned. Every time I want to hear something and the wife is watching one of her inane “reality” programs I have to go to the task bar and change it to the headphones. I liked my old computer where I would just plug in the headphones and they worked and when I unplugged them the speakers worked.
    KA9VQF

Any tool is a weapon if you hold it right.

“The only difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.” A. Einstein

Verify your speakers are good by plugging them into an mp3 player or even your cell phone. Did they work on this machine previously? What brand of speakers are they? Are they from an old computer?

Quote Originally Posted by G0GQK View Post
    I'm using Windows 7 and I can't get my external speakers to produce sound. I can plug a headset into the correct socket at the rear of the PC and listen to Youtube OK.

The external speakers are powered by a cube which is about 15V and a cable connects the speakers to the connection at the rear of the PC
    Mel, that should be the same connection. The speakers go into the same jack that your headset went into.

The problem with many new audio cards and motherboards with built-in sound card --
    they need to be configured (ports can have multiple functions/usage) with mfg software.

w9gb
    Nullius in verba

Had a similar problem. Win7 only recognizes one output at a time unless your sound card has additional drivers for dual output.

Bill WB0MCS

I know on my computer, an XP, I don't have sound unless I click in my control pannel ''Sound and Audio Devices'' then in the volume tab there make sure nothing is muted when you click on the advanced button. Then further down in the volume tab you will see speaker settings. Click on the advanced tab and make sure that you have the right speakers selected. Then in the Sounds Scheme in the sounds tab, make sure that the ''No Sounds'' is selected there. In the Audio tab make sure that the right device is selected. Voice is the same thing, make sure the right device is selected. In Hardwear is the right thing selected in there also.
    [I]I spent all my years when I was young wishing I was older. Now I spend all my years when I'm old wishing I was younger....[/I]

Thanks for all the replies, I've made notes. Its a long story but I had the speakers working 2 years ago listening to internet radio stations. I took the PC into the shack for digital activity, Windows 7 drove me crazy, every time I changed bands the audio went back to zero and I could not get whatsit 65HF to work, the download was half missing each time so I brought the PC back into the house, as far as I'm concerned W7 is a PITA.

I'll have another look, as i'm told, its the same connection for headphones as for the speakers.... crazy !

Mel G0GQK

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast