ad: l-Waters
ad: l-BCInc
ad: l-innov
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-AmericanRadio
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper

Default Split PSK-31 operation

I came across a DX station running psk31 split. He would say "CQ CQ from xxxxx up up up"

I tried calling back to him a few times by transmitting by moving up 60 to 1000 Hz on my waterfall... always finding a clear spot first, of course.

Anyhow, I wasn't successful at making contact. I'm curious if I was calling in the right spot. On SSB split operations, usually the split is 3 to 5 kHz if I'm not mistaken. Is this also the common split for PSK?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

One often finds these are operators who fancy themselves as big dx'ers. There is no need or requirement for a split operation on PSK, it encourages stations to take up frequency calling all over a band, and also as stations are unable to see others who are calling there is a 90% chance that stations are causing interference to others but are unaware of it.

These two bit operators are useless on PSK, they never give names, QTH or locators and you will be lucky if they tell you to go to QRZ for details. Why should I ? The station can easily tell me, how difficult are a couple of dozen letters and numbers to transmit ? Radio is communicating, and they aren't !

This seems to be a common opinion of split psk operators. I figured it would clear up problems when several stations are replying on the same frequency. I guess not. Still, it doesn't answer my question at all.

Can't say that I know what the common split for PSK is.

Splits of 3K and 5K are for phone and to keep the bandpass of transmit and receive from getting in the way of each other. PSK does not require that big of a split to achieve the same result.

I think the split if really needed should be something that keeps both operators inside the same waterfall width.

Mike
    73, Mike
    The road goes on forever and the party never ends...

IMO...

If the number of callers justify operating split, then operate split, regardless of the mode. Five stations calling the DX on his frequency at the same time just isn't going to work well for any one of them, or the DX.

Since most stations have a useful PSK "audio canvas" of from about 500 to 2500 Hz to paint on, there should be plenty of room to operate.

Bill
    Member: Backyard Engineering Group

if they don't operate SIMPLEX,........... i don't work them

For the Nay-sayers, I'd like to see them try to run a pile up on PSK31 Simplex. It's impossible. I say this because once you have 2 or more stations on the exact same frequency, your decoder can't isolate the phases so NOTHING is decoded. I know because I've tried on several occasions.

If you spread the pileup a up say up 50 to 150 Hz, you can usually decode at least 1 station and still not use much of the scope.

Honestly, after trying a few times with PSK31, I switched back to RTTY which is faster type and more robust against QRM. PSK125 is better, but not common enough to get a pileup going.

YMMV

73 Jeremy N1ZZZ

ZZZ has it right. I've operated from the South Pacific where the number of PSK callers made it impossible to pick out a single call, let alone attempt to work as many as might be done. When I went to split operation, the rate picked up and everyone seemed happy enough.

The only odd thing was that it seemed that only the US operators had trouble working split ...

Quote Originally Posted by K7GQ View Post
    ZZZ has it right. I've operated from the South Pacific where the number of PSK callers made it impossible to pick out a single call, let alone attempt to work as many as might be done. When I went to split operation, the rate picked up and everyone seemed happy enough.

The only odd thing was that it seemed that only the US operators had trouble working split ...
    Do you also agree with N1ZZZ that the proper response to an "UP" cq request would be made at a frequency between 50 to 150Hz above the cq?

I am also assuming that the QSO would be completed on the split (just like a split phone qso)... correct? i.e. after the calling station comes back with my call, I should stay put and not move down to his calling freq.

Correct.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by KC9TZT View Post
    Do you also agree with N1ZZZ that the proper response to an "UP" cq request would be made at a frequency between 50 to 150Hz above the cq?

I am also assuming that the QSO would be completed on the split (just like a split phone qso)... correct? i.e. after the calling station comes back with my call, I should stay put and not move down to his calling freq.
    Member: Backyard Engineering Group

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast