ad: l-sarc
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-rl
ad: l-innov

Default Yaesu G-1000SDX control box

I just picked up a Yaesu G-1000SDX control box
    I have currently a Yaesu G-800SA control box and rotator
    I was told that both these control boxes would work with the G-800SA rotator

The 1000SDX uses a Jones plug behind the control box
    The 800SA uses standard molex plug behind the control box

I am trying to cable the 1000SDX control box (has 5 wires) instead of the 800SA control box (has 6 wires)
    so i can work the rotator.

Can someone suggests which pin connects to where?
    Also what are the functions of these five pins?
    I would think one is a ground, another should be reading the pot on the rotator, another should be sending
    a control voltage out etc etc.......not sure what all the pins do?

thanks
    jim s basu

You can do this, instead of having me do these steps for you.

1. Download the Yaesu manuals for both rotator models
    (Yaesu web site and numerous web pages have theses PDF files).

2. Look and read the electrical schematics in both manuals.

3. Note connector number and function on each rotator and it's control box.

4. Match function and connector number in your cross connection between
    800SA rotator and 1000SDX control box.
    ==
    Nullius in verba

Pl see below

Quote Originally Posted by W9GB View Post
    You can do this, instead of having me do these steps for you.

1. Download the Yaesu manuals for both rotator models
    (Yaesu web site and numerous web pages have theses PDF files).....OK i did

2. Look and read the electrical schematics in both manuals....Ummm ok i tried

3. Note connector number and function on each rotator and it's control box..........did

4. Match function and connector number in your cross connection between
    800SA rotator and 1000SDX control box.

this is the part my confusion is all about...
    I tried doing pin1 to pin1 , pin 2 to pin 2.....pin 5 to pin 5
    This doesn't work as thew control box just spins like it is in an open loop

==

PJ:

Looking at both manuals, the pin numbers show to be the same. The wire going to pin-6 doesn't show to go anywhere inside the rotor itself even though the manual definitely refers to using a 6-wire cable. The Yaesu manuals on both rotors are very confusing, especially where the 1000 models are concerned. Yaesu definitely needs to improve the schematics!

You need to check the continuity on the cable going to the rotor. There should be 500 ohms showing between pins 1 and 3. Between pins 1 and 2 and between pins 2 and 3, the total resistance should add up to 500 ohms. That is, if the resistance between 1 and 2 is 150 ohms then the resistance between 2 and 3 should be 350 ohms. A slight difference from these readings should be OK but well within 10-percent.

The resistance between pins 4 and 5 should be well under 500 ohms. There is a 500 ohm resistor across the pins inside the rotor itself and the motor winding is in parallel with that so the actual resistance should be considerably lower.

On my G-1000SDX one of the wires going to pin 1, 2, or 3 came loose (don't remember exactly which one) on the back of the control box and the meter indication did exactly what you are describing. However, a broken connection at the rotor end, or within the cable, can cause exactly the same thing. But, the usual place that the connection is broken is at the control box end.

I don't know why the instructions refer to a 6-wire cable unless it is the fact that 6-wire cable is more common than 5-wire cable. At least according to the manuals on both types of rotors pin 6 is really unused.

Glen, K9STH

K9STH
    Thank you for the resistance checks info...
    I measure 500ohm between 1&3 as well as 1&2+2&3=500ohms
    Resistance Pins4&5 seems to be open. I read nothing.
    I am using the 800SA rotor. All measurements are at the rotor.
    When i connect the 800SA controller, everything works good

When i connect 1000SDX controller, with pins 1to1,2to2,etc.....
    the control box indicator needle just spins all the way until it hits stop
    One would see the same behavior when controller has no cable connected
    So it is an open circuit.
    Obviously my pin to pin connection 1000SDX between controller and 800SA rotor
    is not correct since controller sees an open.
    When i measure voltage across the 1000SDX controller output, i read
    Powered on first time> pin1&5=6V (i assume pin 5 in GROUND), all other pins 0V
    Press PRESET button> pin4&5=12V, all other pins 0V
    Press LEFT momentary seesaw switch> pin 2&5=-12V, pin3&5=-12V, pin 4&5=-12V
    Press RIGHT momentary seesaw switch> pin 2&5 =+12V, all other pins 0V

This basically says that pin 2 is sending +12V or -12V to the rotor, so it can turn CW or CCW
    Also pin 5 is GROUND
    And pin 1 at 6V is the power to the rotor (????)
    That leaves out pin 3 and pin 4. What do they do? Are these sending back position information
    from rotor to the controller?

Pins 3 and 5 go to either side of a potentiometer (variable resistor) inside the rotor. Pin 4 goes to the wiper. The change in resistance (as the rotor rotates) is interpreted by the control box.

If the cable works fine with the Molex plug and does not work with the Jones plug, then there may be a problem in the 1000 control box.

Have you done the resistance measurements from the Jones plug? If they are OK, then the problem has to be either in the actual connection to the 1000 control box or inside the control box. Make sure that you actually are connecting to the proper pins on the Jones plug. If you look on the inside (solder terminal side) of the Jones plug there should be actual numbers beside each pin. It is very easy to get things wrong if you don't make sure that each wire is connected to the correct pin.

One thing that is fairly common with Jones plugs is that when they are inserted into the socket there is not a good electrical connection made. This is caused by corrosion in the socket that is not visible from the outside. To "fix" this problem take a pair of needle nosed pliers and rotate the pins on the plug (male) about 10 to 20-degrees. The plug will take a little effort to insert into the socket. However, the plug pins will then make good connection to the socket.

Are you using an adapter between the Molex plug and the Jones plug or have you cut off the Molex plug and soldered the Jones plug directly to the cable?

Look inside the 1000 control box and make sure that the connectors connecting the various boards together are making good contact. Unplug each board and then reconnect it. That should "wipe off" any corrosion. Also, make sure that the wires are not broken.

Has the operation of the 1000 control box with another rotor been verified?

Glen, K9STH