ad: l-assoc
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-rl
ad: l-innov

the problem with split ops is,....

many (most??) operators don't listen where they transmit,......... they just dial up a few Kc's and fire off on top of existing QSO's

Quote Originally Posted by ND6M View Post
    the problem with split ops is,....

many (most??) operators don't listen where they transmit,......... they just dial up a few Kc's and fire off on top of existing QSO's
    Some might do that, but I never do and I doubt many do. I always listen on my TX frequency first; however if there are long pauses in a QSO (like several seconds) then it would be easy to miss that the frequency was already in use.

That's why when in contact with anyone, I don't have long pauses in my transmissions.

I think almost everybody listens first, if for no other reason than to find out who's there and spot the last guy to make the desired contact. Not doing that yields very poor results.
    What if soy milk is just regular milk introducing itself in Spanish?

Yes Glen, some folks will disagree but there are those that agree. It wasn't necessary to work split, the band was empty. What they should have done was to try operating without split. If they do manage to get a lot of stations calling then they can revert to split operation. Like I said the band was empty. Split or not didn't really matter except it was not the way they should have started to begin with. Now I am one of those that gets a little frosty about repeaters that hog the bands for no other reason then they have a stake in that frequency. Ever try to operate on one of their frequencies? It can be a very testy encounter!!!
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by WB2WIK View Post
    Some might do that,... if there are long pauses in a QSO (like several seconds) then it would be easy to miss that the frequency was already in use.
    thanks for the laugh,................ several SECONDS

Quote Originally Posted by K9STH View Post
    JLM:

Whether or not you work contests, there are a LOT of operators who do so just to get new countries for DXCC, WAZ, etc., and not to actually "win" the competition. Whether or not you work DX, there are a LOT of operators who do. Now, it is harder with a General Class license rather than an Advanced Class or Amateur Extra Class license to work DX although I have a friend, who just has a General Class license, that is at the top of the DXCC Honor Roll having worked every DXCC country that now make up the DXCC country list.

For those with General Class licenses, if the DX station does work "split" on SSB, it is MUCH easier for those operators to work the DX. There is nothing written which says that you have to work stations operating "split", there is nothing written which says that you even have to work any specific station, DX or stateside. But, if you are interested in working DX then, at some time, will have to work stations using "split" if you want to increase your number of countries worked.

As WIK points out, when a DX station operates "split", it is MUCH easier to both copy the DX station and to work the DX station because the DX station is basically on a "clear" frequency and those stations calling the DX station are generally "spread out". That makes it much easier for the stations calling the DX to work the station.

Even on CW, when a DX station works "split" it is MUCH easier to work that station because of the very same reasons that are listed above. In contests, on CW, operating "split" is not done for a number of reasons.

Of course, you are always entitled to express your opinion. However, there are a LOT of operators who are going to disagree with you.

Glen, K9STH
    There is nothing to Disagree about.

Just because I do not work split don't mean you should not, If it works for you.

Most of what I hear is just calling and calling, a no contact is ever made.

If they would listen where they are transmitting they would hear that the frequency is already in use.

What Happened to the common courtesy of asking " is this frequency in use ? " Before calling CQ ?

Many operators could care less if a frequency is in use. They are just broadcasting to stir the pot.

If you want some wild DX try Cross-band operation. And Echolink does not count.
    "Theory only works perfect in a vacuum." KA9JLM Don

Quote Originally Posted by ND6M View Post
    thanks for the laugh,................ several SECONDS
    What's wrong with that? Several seconds is a very long pause in communications. I think it's weirdly long.
    What if soy milk is just regular milk introducing itself in Spanish?

You may hear someone on the DX calling freq, doesn't mean they can hear them. I hear this all the time with QRP operators, all calling on 14060 but not hearing each other. It's a mess. As a stateside op you should rarely have to work split for your own contacts. Only rare, semi-rare or DXpeditions will be working split. When I worked Yemen recently I would guess there were 2000-3000 stations calling him. Imagine everyone on the same frequency...you would never hear Yemen send your callsign. Missed contact.

Yes, if you don't spend a lot of time working those DX stations I guess it would seem to be a waste of spectrum. But, consider how many contacts can be made running split and you realize it's actually very efficient use of the spectrum.

There is the thought of , why are 2000-3000 stations calling an obscure country just to get on the log? Really, is the contact a matter of life and death? The DX stations out there are not doing anybody favors by using far more resources then others are entitled to. If a DX station was really doing me a favor they would tune the bands and when they hear someone they make a contact and then move on. This actually makes them even more rare and it gets rid of the pile ups and encourages folks to start having conversations on the air because that would be the only way the DX would work them. Some of you may think this would be very strange but hey it's just as good as the method being used now and far less selfish. It would also make being on the honor roll a far greater accomplishment then just sitting mindlessly looking at the spotting sites so you can pop in with a completely incoherent exchange of phony dishonest information.
    The folks that got to the honor roll before the advent of spotting networks of any kind are much more accomplished then those of todays herd. Those operators had to scan the bands and carefully monitor the conditions seeking a contact. It required effort. Then the DXpeditions started posting when they where going to operate and at what frequencies. It now required less effort. As things progressed it got so easy you didn't have to do anything except the mindless exchange that meant nothing really.
    Oh well, you guys have fun
    Gary

Gary,
    I appreciate your comments. Back in the day I guess there also very large pileups once people figured out that a DXpedition was on the air. Certainly, there are no right, or wrong, answers to these discussions...as long as everybody gets to do what they like to do. I admit, I work 99% DX. Most of it is regular QSOs, but less than a rag chew. I spend more time tuning the bands than looking at the spots. After all, with a basic 100W/dipole setup I have to be looking for them, not the other way around. When I'm not chasing DX, I work QRP with a straight key. You might say I occupy both ends. Things sort of balance out.
    73, hope to hear you on the air.
    Milt

Working "a split" can often be an ego thing. The station you contacted isn't rare, but it gives them a nice warm feeling ! I often find these stations on PSK operate like they're on a Pacific Island, no name, qth, locator, rush you off with a 59 then spend the next ten minutes calling QRZ QRZ ? until they realise, then they start calling CQ.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2