ad: l-Heil
ad: l-rl
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-WarrenG

Contribute
to QRZ

Question FT 920 Problem

Hi all,

First I'd like to say its great to be back after about 8 years QRT!

Anyway, after a long time packed away in its box my Yaesu FT920 seems to be "not playing ball" shall we say. If I am absolutely honest I could be responsible for the problem by meddling with buttons that I'd basically forgotten how to use!

So heres the problem,

Rig powers up fine and all appears to be OK 100% however buttons 7, 8, &9 on the keypad do not operate and I am unable to switch to 15m, 12m & 10m without using the VFO dial. Also I am unable to change modes and the rig appears to be stuck in whichever mode was selected for that particular band before this happened.

Does anybody have any idea as to what the problem is or even what I have done?

If you need any more info then I'll happily provide it.

Many thanks guys, Chris /MØNTY

Switch and key contacts are likely dry and corroded from storage sitting. Regular operation of them can mechanically prevent such problems, but once stored and such, they often will need to be cleaned. Deoxit, but with the modern keypads, it is often necessary to disassemble and clean both carbon plastic button contacts and circuit board contacts with alcohol first, then apply a very very tiny wipe of the deoxit to the gold plated circuit traces under each carbon plastic button. Don't attempt to spray them from outside, or overspray them, that usually results in a worsening situation that is much more labor and sometimes needs replacement to correct.

Have you tried doing a "reset" on the rig?
    Press GEN and ENT on the keypad while turning
    the radio on.

Hope you find the problem.
    Maybe also a bad memory backup battery?

73, Ken AD6KA

Hi fella's. Thanks for the suggestions, will certainly give them a go starting with the reset I think. Willlet you know the outcome.

Cheers, Chris/m0nty