Callsign
ad: giga-rw

View Poll Results: Do you live in an antenna-restricted neighborhood?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes I have HOA/CCR restrictions, and they are strictly enforced.

9 13.64%
  • Yes I have HOA/CCR restrictinos, but they are not being enforced

8 12.12%
  • No HOA/CCR restrictions, but there are severe county/city restrictions

2 3.03%
  • No HOA/CCR restrictions. County/city limits are reasonable

20 30.30%
  • No restrictions at all

27 40.91%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Antenna Restrictions ?

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-sarc
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-rl
ad: l-innov
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-tentec

Default Antenna Restrictions ?

I was just wondering what portion of hams actually have antenna restrictions where they live.

I would not live where there were any restrictions of any kind.
    Antenna Snow.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by KA5ROW View Post
    I would not live where there were any restrictions of any kind.
    I hope you always have that choice.

----

Where I live, the main restriction is the size of the lot. But there are homes near mine which are severely resticted (meaning "no outside antennas of any kind") which are on bigger lots, yet cost less.

Go figure.

73 de Jim, N2EY

The city initially tried to impose a 35 ft limit on my tower. After reading the zoning ordinances and speaking with an ARRL volunteer consul I was able to convince the city that they had no authority under the current regulation to regulate a tower. Upset a few people but at least now my tower is grandfathered when they do get around to changing the ordinances one day.

As far the CCRs. We got a copy of them long before signing a contract to purchase. I wouldn't have knowingly purchased in an antenna restricted neighborhood.
    Last edited by N5YPJ; 04-09-2012 at 02:16 AM.

Largest antenna restriction not done by city or county, but rather done by restriction by apartment rule, balcony usage rule are often strict, however, many people break the rule by placing plant, etc. but, there is always the way, thin antenna, indoor antenna, somewhat work reasonably.

Angry

I live at home now, so there's nothing I can do. But when I move out, there will be NO CC&Rs for me. The absurdity of the restrictions here can be considered beyond insane and into the level of "mentally deficient." People have received spiteful, threating letters from the HOA about parking their cars in their driveways in public sight, or putting vegetable gardens in their backyards where they can't be seen, and even small television antennas (even though they're exempt).

I pray that the FCC's asking for comments about "Impediments to enhanced Amateur Radio Service communications" leads to a curtailment of these insane [home owners] organizations.
    73 de Calvin
    [SIZE=1]QTH: San Diego County[/SIZE]

「能ある鷹は爪を隠す」

No I don't and I never will unless they carry me out feet first and that little 5x8' piece of ground has restrictions.
    73 de Fred N0AZZ

The License is Only Your Starting Point in Radio!
    MVDX/CC of SW MO., DX Hogs, OARS, NARC, NCDXF
    ARRL member, ARRL and W5YI VE
    DX the thrill of the chase

""D-STAR making use of the 2/ 440m repeaters for real world Digital Voice usage around town and around the world""

" Not one of us can do what all of us can do " ** Max Lucado

Quote Originally Posted by KJ6VCN View Post
    People have received spiteful, threating letters from the HOA about parking their cars in their driveways in public sight, or putting vegetable gardens in their backyards where they can't be seen, and even small television antennas (even though they're exempt).
    IMHO that ain't living at all. I won't say never as my health is not good and I may wind up somewhere ham radio would be totally prohibido such as a nursing home but as long as I can call the shots, never. Not being able to have a few chickens here now is ridiculous enough.

I live in an HOA with severe restrictions which I was aware of before moving in. My XYL wanted to live here. I get around the restrictions by clandestine operation but my signal would be a lot better if the HOA were to make "reasonable accomodations," - say a 30-35 ft height allowance for simple wire or vertical antennas. I've started a petition to the FCC to void developer and HOA based antenna restrictions. If you're interested in supporting the petition, you can sign it and write in optional informal comments at the link below. So far nearly 1000 signatures have been collected.

http://www.change.org/petitions/fede...and-developers

Needed another option. I had to choose between strictly enforced and not enforced and chose strictly enforced. The truth is somewhere in between. Most of the covenants here are not enforced. They don't even try to enforce them. But "architectural" changes evoke a very cumbersome and rigid process that is strictly enforced. Try replacing your deck without having gone through the HOA process and you get hit with a restraining order. Ignore that and they place a lien on the property. Ignore that and they foreclose. Here in North Carolina any HOA can impose fines of up to $100 a day except for some older HOAs that specifically opt-out of the NC Planned Community Act.

Outside antennas are prohibited except for small satellite dishes that cannot be seen from the street. Over 100 homes in the community and I am the only licensed ham ( according to a search of the FCC database for my zip-code ). I have served on my HOA board and understand how it works. I agree with the "idea" behind restrictive covenants ( protect property values and prevent poorly-maintained and unattractive properties ) but I disagree with the way "some" HOAs enforce them in a rigid and heavy-handed manner. Mine happens to be more reasonable, but I would not dare ask permission to put up an outside antenna, so I am stuck with an antenna in the attic ( and maybe a flagpole antenna if I can manage that ).

Before joining these forums and reading what people have posted about antenna restrictions I was thinking if you don't want to comply with the rules, then don't buy into a community with restrictions. Now I realize that many people do not have a reasonable choice of where to live. I pretty much have to live in a gated, restricted community ( for safety and low maintenance, I am retired and live alone ). But I would love to put up some "real" antennas.

And yes, I agree with and have signed the petition facilitated by N4UM. Even so, I would not want my HOA board deciding what is a "reasonable" antenna for me to have in order to pursue my hobby. I would rather the FCC issue "reasonable" guidelines that hams can simply comply with. If the ham fails to comply with FCC guidelines, then ( and only then ) could the HOA complain. My point is that as a ham I want to put up the most effective antennas I can manage, but as a "neighbor" I would object to anything that is huge or ugly and that makes it hard for me to sell my home if I need to. The problem then becomes what is reasonable and what is "ugly" ... and surely we all have different ideas on what is an "attractive" antenna and which is "ugly" ... but let's see what happens.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast