ad: l-Waters
ad: l-rl
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-innov
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-Heil

Contribute
to QRZ

It is funny to see the "perfect radio" yet to come! Of course that means different things to different operators.
    Leroy
    Be sure to listen for my beacon on 28.278.8 MHz

All together now...

"My rig is red hot.
    Your rig ain't doodly squat."

Bill
    Member: Backyard Engineering Group

Quote Originally Posted by WA4OTD View Post
    It is funny to see the "perfect radio" yet to come! Of course that means different things to different operators.
    Much like utopia, the perfect rig can exist only in ones mind.
    73 de KB3LAZ

In lieu of achievement we have mediocrity.

The FT-1000's are still one of the greatest radios Yaesu ever sold and more still in use than any other radio of that era. You will still find them in many contest stations around the world in large numbers and in high demand on the used market. Sometimes it's just hard for some people to measure sucess with a radio by total number sold over a number of years and model revisions.

Spectrum Analyzers are still one of the best tools going and most experenced operators and DXers use them I do in contests for point and pounce very fast with one. Plus they bring any radio up to the look and feel of a Flex-5000 without all the baggage. They are important just as are filters DSP and mechanical as the main receiver on the radio.

All radios are compromises and new things come down the pike with better preformance when they do I will buy one. I like new high preformance radios and buy several new ones a year. Like I said when one comes out better than the FTDX-5000 I will buy one and use the FT-5000 for a backup.
    73 de Fred N0AZZ

The License is Only Your Starting Point in Radio!
    MVDX/CC of SW MO., DX Hogs, OARS, NARC, NCDXF
    ARRL member, ARRL and W5YI VE
    DX the thrill of the chase

""D-STAR making use of the 2/ 440m repeaters for real world Digital Voice usage around town and around the world""

" Not one of us can do what all of us can do " ** Max Lucado

Quote Originally Posted by N0AZZ View Post
    The FT-1000's are still one of the greatest radios Yaesu ever sold and more still in use than any other radio of that era. You will still find them in many contest stations around the world in large numbers and in high demand on the used market. Sometimes it's just hard for some people to measure sucess with a radio by total number sold over a number of years and model revisions.
    Total sales mean nothing. Millions of crap CB rigs were sold over the years.
    The quality of the transmitted signal does.
    The unmodified FT-1000x's generate key clicks like nobodies business and if you were half the transceiver officianado you claim to be you wouldn't try to deny it.
    ACH,
    Member ARRL, SKCC #215, NAQCC #3441, FISTS #11993

I have a few recently manufactured rigs, including an FT-950, which I love. Yet I find that I spend most of my actual operating time using a Ten Tec Century 21, and I don't think I ever have more fun than when I'm using the Century 21. There may be some food for thought there...

Quote Originally Posted by AC0H View Post
    Total sales mean nothing. Millions of crap CB rigs were sold over the years.
    The quality of the transmitted signal does.
    The unmodified FT-1000x's generate key clicks like nobodies business and if you were half the transceiver officianado you claim to be you wouldn't try to deny it.
    Many people would never generate a key click if they had to, no matter what rig they use. My original FT-817 also had klix, so perhaps some of the Yaesu engineers need 'Remedial CW 101'. The last big Yaesu I owned was an FT-902DM, but I've used others since that were more than decent on SSB. I loved the 902 on phone, too, but the filter blow-by on CW was too annoying, and it had mechanical issues that got old fast. It seemed like I was reseating the circuit boards and realigning the thing on the test bench every time I thought about it. But I find that the big Yaesus typically have SMOOOOTH audio, and I really appreciate that - they are nice for listening for long hours.

I'm anxiously waiting for Fed Ex to deliver my latest 'new' toy - a 15 year old Ten Tec.
    EchoLink, IRLP, Allstar and DSTAR linking - adding interest to repeaters worldwide 24X7

I love my 950 it is the best! I would NEVER EVEN consider a radio that REQUIRED an external computer and software to function ... Reliability is just NOT THERE ... I would hate kicking it (REBOOTING) all the time to make it work!!! Then there is windows ... (yeah right) ... dont need to say more there..... Great job YAESU you have my loyalty ... sold the Kenwood I had once I got the FT-950 .. there was just NO COMPARISON there at all!! The Yaesu was far quieter and better... 73's to all.

Wayne.
    KD5SPX

While considered ancient in comparison to the FT-950, I love my FT-102s (yes plural). I wouldn't trade them in or sell them for anything. Get one "Malcomized" and a AM/FM board and your all set. Plus the audio from the 6146s ain't so bad either.

Quote Originally Posted by WS4B View Post
    While considered ancient in comparison to the FT-950, I love my FT-102s (yes plural). I wouldn't trade them in or sell them for anything. Get one "Malcomized" and a AM/FM board and your all set. Plus the audio from the 6146s ain't so bad either.
    The audio didn't have much to do with the 6146s, but that Yaesu used three of them was unique and made for reduced IMD, which is a very good thing. The 102 is a sought-after rig, for that. In terms of low IMD it's one of the best rigs ever made.

Having owned both an FT-102 and an FT-950, for me I'd prefer the 102 most of the time.
    What if soy milk is just regular milk introducing itself in Spanish?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast