ad: l-Waters
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-sarc
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-innov
ad: l-gcopper

Default Toyota hilux surf 3lt diesel

Hi all
    I have a toyota hilux surfb 3lt diesel which is driving me round the bend whenn i try and use hf from the car.
    I have a yaesu ft857d and when i key up the engine cuts ? i also have engine noise like bad plugs but its a diesel and i cant use hf at all the only time i can is when the engine it off.
    i also have a friend who has the same problem with his toyota surf. which is doing our heads in trying to get rid of this noise.

Any help please.
    Many thanks.
    George 2E0GLW

Welcome to the world of single-rail diesels!

Without some knowledge of the antennas in use, and how they're mounting, it is anyone's guess. I suspect the engine cutoff is due to common mode (poor antenna mounting scheme??).

I have to assume you all haven't done any bonding (hood, exhaust system, etc.), or other noise abatement procedures??

I worked with a G4 a couple of years ago, and got his Hilux down to about S2 without the NB on. I suspect this is about as low as you'll get, based on the injections system used.

So, how about some more information? Photos?
    Alan Applegate, KBG
    http://www.k0bg.com

Hi Alan and thanks for the reply.
    I am using a atas 120 i know not the best antanna in the world but i also use mono band antannas as well.
    I have 2 mounts on the spare wheel frame,i also have used 1inch earth brade from the frame to the body and have also used earth brade to the exhaust to body.
    I have even tried using coax as power cable but that did not work.
    I have used a mag mount on the roof of the car again still the same problem.
    I never had any problems when i had a pajero diesel.
    I have been on your web site and have tried some things but still have problems.
    I can only think its a new car or just live with the problem and only use the radio when stopped.
    I also have a friend who has the same problems as me with his set up.
    Hope this is of help.
    Thanks George 2E0GLW

As I said before, the problem is caused by common mode. You will have a lot common mode with a mag mount, even if you use a piece of ground strap to the body.

You have the same issue with the tire mounting frame. Not enough ground plane under the antenna. You can install a choke at the base of the ATAS to see if that helps. A 3/4 inch ID, mix 31 split bead will allow about 5 to 7 turns depending on the coax used. 6 turns give you about 2kΩ of impedance, mostly-resistive, from 1 to about 25 MHz or so. Make the turns about 3 inches in diameter. if that doesn't do the trick, add another split bead to the other side of the loops.
    Alan Applegate, KBG
    http://www.k0bg.com

Even a triple magmount gave me issues with my Tarheel on my Mondeo so using a single mag is completely pointless. Mounting on the spare wheel frame is a complete and utter waste of time even using 1" braid.

Get the drill out George. Buy a Sirio SO239 mount from Knights CB or you may pick one up at Blackpool radio rally if you're there this weekend. They're a few quid and come with a nice plastic screw on cap you can put on when not using the antenna. Drill a hole in the roof and put the antenna there. When you sell the car shove a mobile phone antenna in the hole. If you go with the rear quarter panel option for a hole, it costs about 150 for a body shop to repair the hole when you remove the antenna to sell the car. I've got a 2 year old Mondeo I've just bought. As soon as I get some new mounts this weekend the drill is coming out.