ad: l-assoc
ad: l-rl
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-BCInc
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-AmericanRadio
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-innov

small loop here. S-meter bounces between zero and 3 at the moment on 20M.
    vy 73, de frank, k2ncc

Between S5 and S8. Antenna is a MFJ magnetic loop on my apartment balcony.

Quote Originally Posted by N8HM View Post
    Between S5 and S8. Antenna is a MFJ magnetic loop on my apartment balcony.
    Have you tried to null that noise?
    now with true viterbi decoder!

Quote Originally Posted by W9OE View Post
    My worst band by far is 40 meters. Some nights I can have an S7 noise level about 40% of the time. I do use the internal pre-amp always. 20 meters and up are never a problem. I do live in the city so I would expect a little noise from time to time. It is just something you have to adjust too and learn to work around.

I resent weeks I have had a lot or noise in the form of static crashes due to all the storms down round Tenn. I sure wish they would keep their noise to them selves down there.
    Almost identical to my QTH only no amplifiers.

Quote Originally Posted by WN9HJW View Post
    Depends on how I set my attenuators, pre-amps, and RF gain, and which antenna I'm using. Could be anywhere from S0 to S9+
    This is the correct answer, the original question was way to broad and can't be answered.

fp
    [FONT=T93Y][COLOR=#0000ff][B]ACFP

[/B][/COLOR]
    [/FONT]

Without preamp or attenuator on average S5-S9 on 75m. Pretty much nothing on any other band. A bad transformer used to destroy 10m for me but a squirrel fixed that.
    73 de KB3LAZ

In lieu of achievement we have mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ3N View Post
    Yep, that was helpful.
    It is actually.

Quote Originally Posted by N0SYA View Post
    Appreciate the info gents. I should have been more specific by asking for band noise level when that band is open; 20 daytime, 40 all day, 80 at night, you get the idea.
    I've got a 167' horizontal loop. And oddly enough, when the band is open is when I see the lowest noise levels. However once everyone in the neighborhood comes home and fires up their Plasma/LCD/LED Tv's, microwaves, CFL lamps etc.. Yeah I get S5-S9+. Again though, when the bands are open, I get lower S readings in the S3-S5 range.
    "[I]Keep the Amateur in Amateur Radio. Keep the professionals and Part 90 out[/I]." Ed Brooks, W5HTW (SK)

[B][SIZE=3]If you can't make fun of yourself, go sit in the truck :cool: - W5WPL[/SIZE][/B]

Savanna, Illinois, the west coast of Illinois that is.

Most of the time there is little band noise here with the semi resonant hunk of wire in the sky. {it is cut to be resonant around where The Breakfast Club hangs out.}

But,... around Christmas time the neighbors put out a heard of mechanical lighted reindeer that will pretty well destroy all radio reception when the timer on them kicks in.

I guess that's my payback for turning all the touch lamps in his house on and off when I operate.
    KA9VQF

Any tool is a weapon if you hold it right.

The only difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. A. Einstein

I live near the coast in Washington State: noise levels here are very common S3-S7. I've found those rare occasions when here is less than S1 noise and tried to work, but the air is dead. I've only had bands open and been in the shack 1 time where I could work with less than S1 of noise--it was glorious! I worked someone that had a signal of 5/1. A good balun and ferite beads go a long way to getting you out of the common mode noise link too.

I should have asked about local man made noise v natural, but that's ok, I have enough info to see most everyone has about s3 and higher most times.
    now with true viterbi decoder!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast