ad: MyersEng-1

NZ4O HF/6M Radiowave Propagation Forecast #2012-15

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W4HM, Apr 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. W4HM

W4HM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

2. WK5X

WK5X Guest

Looking at Cycle 24 overall, it is a disappointment. Based upon the Aussie's "T-Index", (which I wasn't even aware of until reading K7RA's solar update this weekend), we're on the downside of the cycle already (http://www.ips.gov.au/HF_Systems/6/4/1). This index peaked in November 2011 at 103. Looking at previous cycles, In Cycle 19, the index was higher than the peak of the current cycle for 55 months running. During the next four cycles, this holds true for slightly shorter periods of time.

But it's not as if we can do anything about it.

3. K0SAV

K0SAV Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't believe everything you read.

4. VE7TJL

VE7TJL Ham Member QRZ Page

Careful... All of the numbers on the decline side are predictions.. If you look at the previous cycles it's pretty common to have some highs and lows in the cycles. The predictions definitely don't follow the pattern.

We'll just have to wait and see.

5. WK5X

WK5X Guest

Yes, that's true. There will be spikes in solar activity. But when you compare a graphs of Cycle 24 against Cycles 19-23, it is like comparing the Himalayas to the Appalachians.

6. KA2TMU

KA2TMU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The graphs spanning the last three hundred years seem to show a longer, 100 year-or-so cycle, and it appears to me that we *may be* looking at several decades of cycle peaks below an daily average of 100.

"If you think you that can, or that you cannot, you're right." - Henry Ford

7. KA2TMU

KA2TMU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

double post

Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

This cycle is deep doodoo. Ugh.

Chip W1YW

9. N2MDA

N2MDA Ham Member QRZ Page

I remember in the previous cycle (23) driving to work in the morning and being in QSO with my friends in England and Ireland, with signals at S9 or better on a daily basis. I ran a little Uniden HR 2510 at a mighty 25 watts and a fiberglass whip for 10 meters. Lots of worldwide DX to be found. Australia in the evening was common too. In this cycle, there's not much to be had on 10 meters. 17 and 20 seem to be carrying most of the contacts. Cycle 24 is going to be known as "THE SUNSPOT CYCLE FROM HELL"

10. W4HM

W4HM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Solar Cycle 24 Peak?

11. K3DNF

K3DNF Ham Member QRZ Page

All very interesting and useful in planning my radio activities.
    If they predict excellent conditions, I will be on my radio trying to make as many contacts as I can.
    If they predict poor conditions, then in that case, I will be on my radio trying to make as many contacts as I can!

73s
    Dave

12. WK5X

WK5X Guest

You might be right; the peak may not be here yet. Nonetheless, I think we're looking at fleeting F2 openings at 50 MHz at best, almost all on north/south paths. And the polar openings last fall on 10 Meters will not likely re-occur, unless there is a similar spike during an equinoctial period. The current equinoctial period is a waste on 28 MHz.

However, 17 Meters has been impressive during the last week over the poles.

13. KK1S

KK1S Ham Member QRZ Page

The sun is estimated to be 4.5 billion years old. We've been "studying" it for less than 200. Enough said?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.