Callsign
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 57

Thread: Building a new Man Cave

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-BCInc
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-AmericanRadio
ad: l-rl
ad: l-innov
  1. #21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by G6URM View Post
    yep you know thats a very good question - i have often wondered that too as we see year after year pictures of the devastation caused by extreme weather - also of course you would never get away with building houses like they do in the states in most of europe - the building inspectors / planners would have a hissyfit ( i guess it's an historical hang back to the old west type of construction - lumber being available and cost effective ?? )

    in fact it all seems rather arris about face - as the guys in the USA ought to be building to our standards - where as we could probably be fine with theirs in a lot of places as we dont get "that" many severe weather events

    if i lived in some parts of the states - i think that concrete and a LOT of rebar would be involved in my house and it would be at least in part below ground ( with ports to be able to lower any antennas into ) and sliding steel shutters fitted to any openings - a sort of pyramid with the top cut off design - should be sort of tornado resistant

    another question if i may ?? - how do you guys get on with fire insurance ?? - as house fires must result in almost total loss in many cases ( professional interest - former fire fighter )
    We over here in the states would not like to live in the prison like structure that you described. Home owners insurance is fairly inexpensive. Events like tornadoes and fires are rare but do happen. You have to remember that 99.9% of the people living in the US will never experience a house fire or tornado in their life time. When and if it does occur the insurance Co. cuts you a big fat check. Life in the US goes on and we do not have to live in steel reinforced concrete bunkers.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Boca Raton, FL
    Posts
    1,303

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KF7HCZ View Post
    Where are the guns? All the man caves in Eastern Washington have guns.
    They are around...lol
    Mark
    [B]K[/B]eep
    [B]S[/B]earching
    [B]4[/B]
    [B]V[/B]acuum
    [B]T[/B]ubes

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Boca Raton, FL
    Posts
    1,303

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WA9CWX View Post
    Nice man cave, good prep for your AC needs. Congrats on a creative solution, enjoy....

    Frank
    Thanks Frank...
    Mark
    [B]K[/B]eep
    [B]S[/B]earching
    [B]4[/B]
    [B]V[/B]acuum
    [B]T[/B]ubes

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Northeast Ohio USA
    Posts
    111

    Default

    Delightful that you are building the dedicated cave, well done!
    A previous poster mentioned a shortfall on circuits and outlets.
    I must respectfully second the notion.
    Calculate the absolute maximum number of outlets you will need, and double it.
    No two-holers, quad outlets exclusively, and multiple circuits!
    (On the other hand, if I know so darn much, why haven't I made that million dollars and retired, eh?)

  5. #25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WA7PRC View Post
    Before you close-in the walls, some metal screening fastened against the wall & ceiling studs (and grounded) would serve as a Faraday shield.
    I got much the same effect with the 3/4" foam insulation boards that have heavy aluminum foil on both sides. - I did the walls and ceiling of my former double-garage with the stuff, sealing up with heavy aluminum tape on the joints. - I had built a wall where the overhead door once stood, and it was insulated this way, too.

    It has a definite Faraday cage effect, affects WIFI, TV and radio. - It is also consistently the coolest room in the summer, and the warmest room in the winter. I never run a heater in the winter, as waste heat produced by my ham, machine shop, and computer equipment keeps it comfortable.

    It reflects something like 75% or more of radiant heat. - In either direction. In the summer, the air-conditioner just loafs along.
    [IMG]http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff206/arwatch/aaa%20web%20stuff/smileys/popcorn.gif[/IMG]73 DE Charles, N5PVL

    [CENTER]--------[IMG]http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff206/arwatch/aaa%20web%20stuff/smileys/yahyah.gif[/IMG]--------

    [/CENTER]
    [CENTER]The "S" word... It's not the socialism, it's the stupidity behind it.

    [/CENTER]

  6. #26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by N5PVL View Post
    I got much the same effect with the 3/4" foam insulation boards that have heavy aluminum foil on both sides. - I did the walls and ceiling of my former double-garage with the stuff, sealing up with heavy aluminum tape on the joints. - I had built a wall where the overhead door once stood, and it was insulated this way, too.

    It has a definite Faraday cage effect, affects WIFI, TV and radio. - It is also consistently the coolest room in the summer, and the warmest room in the winter. I never run a heater in the winter, as waste heat produced by my ham, machine shop, and computer equipment keeps it comfortable.

    It reflects something like 75% or more of radiant heat. - In either direction. In the summer, the air-conditioner just loafs along.
    I had to install an outdoor FM (b'cast FM) antenna in an apartment I rented once. For the life of me I could never figure why I could not get good FM reception in the living room where the radio was. One day I lifted the ceiling tiles, and found them to be foil lined, my guess the wall were too. All was fine once the antenna was outside.
    KC2ZPK
    John
    [URL="http://www.kc2zpk.com"]KC2ZPK.com[/URL] a blog in progress, new, still needs work, but up and running.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Boca Raton, FL
    Posts
    1,303

    Default

    Been a while since I updated this...but I am almost ready for paint and flooring.
    IMG-20120512-00130.jpg
    Mark
    [B]K[/B]eep
    [B]S[/B]earching
    [B]4[/B]
    [B]V[/B]acuum
    [B]T[/B]ubes

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    3,270

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KS4VT View Post
    Been a while since I updated this...but I am almost ready for paint and flooring.
    IMG-20120512-00130.jpg
    You're *really* building a man cave - simply awesome.
    "building a man cave" usually comes down to selective furnature placement. You're really building one!

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Boca Raton, FL
    Posts
    1,303

    Default

    Paint is done and the flooring will be done in just a few more hours...
    Flooring Install.jpg
    Mark
    [B]K[/B]eep
    [B]S[/B]earching
    [B]4[/B]
    [B]V[/B]acuum
    [B]T[/B]ubes

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Boca Raton, FL
    Posts
    1,303

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KE7HQY View Post
    You're *really* building a man cave - simply awesome.
    "building a man cave" usually comes down to selective furnature placement. You're really building one!
    Yep I sure am!
    Mark
    [B]K[/B]eep
    [B]S[/B]earching
    [B]4[/B]
    [B]V[/B]acuum
    [B]T[/B]ubes

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •