ad: l-Waters
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-Heil
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper

Contribute
to QRZ

Default FTM-350AR APRS

I have a FTM-350AR in my truck for mobile use. I have a macbook(with the ability to run windows xp) and a garmin nuvi 350 gps. what setup can i use to run APRS? i would be willing to purchase the yaesu gps unit if i have to.

My friend has the FTM-350AR and uses APRS with the Yaesu gps unit. It's pretty much plug/play. Install the gps and activate the APRS function. Keep in mind during APRS operation it ties up 1 side of the radio..

The 350AR has a packet radio port. I wanted to read more on this, since I believe the 350R did not have this capability. I think you can use the packet port to gain access to the TNC, hopefully in KISS mode, which some of the popular APRS programs out for the PC will support. Unfortunately, I could not download the AR manual.

XASTIR is an open source APRS program that runs on OSX, among other places. You should be able to get your GPS talking to the PC, running XASTIR, talking to the packet port on the 350AR.

You should get the GPS for the 350AR - it will be much easier to use as a self-contained unit as opposed to dragging the PC around everywhere. Use the PC when you need to display other stations around you.
    EchoLink, IRLP, Allstar and DSTAR linking - adding interest to repeaters worldwide 24X7

do you think that the built in unit will work sitting just below the factory radio in my truck? also any suggestions for a 8pin din to USB cable? i cannot find one anywhere
    Last edited by k3wdt; 04-10-2012 at 06:22 PM.

If you purchase the Yaesu programming software it will come with the cable..

does anyone think that the built in gps unit will get satellite signal sitting just below the factory installed radio in my truck?