ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-innov
ad: l-rl
ad: l-sarc
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-Waters

Default Searching

What's the deal with search? Seems to give random results.
    I tried searching for "706", as in the Icom radio, but got zero results; same for "IC-706".
    On a whim, I tried searching for 450 as well (Yaesu FT-450), which I personally listed just recently, and got the same zero results. I know there's also a Kenwood model "xx-450'.
    I know there have been many of both radios listed over the years, and obviously at least one in the past couple of weeks.
    At random, I just picked something I saw while browsing the for sale forum and chose "2020" and I get 150+ results going back to 2002.
    So, doesn't seem to be an issue with just searching for numbers, as "2020" had no problems.

An ideas?

Cheers.

Hi K0SPN,

Which search bar were you using?

Mike
    Michael Jones
    QRZ STAFF - Database Team

I tried the search at the upper right of all the forum pages, like above here and I tried the advanced search page, using both the single and multiple content type tabs.
    I tried searching specifically the "For Sale" forum and general all forums

The Google Search Bar I think your on about, try using the bar at the top along the blue tab. The google one searches the whole of google too. Best of luck with your radio and I hope to QSO soon!

Mike
    Michael Jones
    QRZ STAFF - Database Team

It is so weird how a computer does what it is told...

Using Google search may get this site a pay per click, that is a good thing.

Good Luck on your search.

"Theory only works perfect in a vacuum." KA9JLM Don

I did not use the Google search, I used the one you mentioned, along with trying the "Advanced Search" link directly below that search box.
    I've tried several times now and got nothing.

I also thought it could be something wonky using Firefox, so I tried IE also and got the same thing, zero results.

Quote Originally Posted by K0SPN View Post
    I did not use the Google search, I used the one you mentioned, along with trying the "Advanced Search" link directly below that search box.
    I've tried several times now and got nothing.

I also thought it could be something wonky using Firefox, so I tried IE also and got the same thing, zero results.
    You are correct. I just tried it. No go.

It looks like the sites search engine is not working.

What I've done for some time is to use Google whenever I want to search the QRZ forums.

Say I'm searching for an old post I made about, say, Beverage antennas. I type the following into google.com:

site:qrz.com w0btu "beverage antenna"

- or -

site:qrz.com w0btu beverage

Works great, every time. :-)
    73, Mike
    http://www.w0btu.com

I have never had any luck at all getting any of the search bars here to find items for sale. My 2 day old listing is a perfect example, no matter how I enter any of the items I listed, I do not get to my listing. One almost works, sending me to a web page for Swapmeet (not listed there) where it says I am listed, but the entire page has nothing.

If I can't find my own listing, most others probably can't either, other than just browsing through the pages at random. Too bad, one would think that searches these days would not be so difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by W0BTU View Post
    What I've done for some time is to use Google whenever I want to search the QRZ forums.

Say I'm searching for an old post I made about, say, Beverage antennas. I type the following into google.com:

site:qrz.com w0btu "beverage antenna"

- or -

site:qrz.com w0btu beverage

Works great, every time. :-)

Thanks Mike.

That does work good. Seems like QRZ search would return better results on their own search bar.

I think when you use the QRZ search, It only searches the Forum that you are on at that time.

But your work around Using Google Search does work very well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast