Callsign

Thread: I would like to use a stepper motor it as a normal motor to drive a butterfly capacit

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-rl
ad: l-sarc
ad: l-WarrenG
ad: l-tentec
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-innov

Default I would like to use a stepper motor it as a normal motor to drive a butterfly capacit

Hi!

I did disassemble a SONCEBOZ 7165R001, small linear actuators using 2-phaqse stepping motors.
    I would like to use the motor to drive a hv huge butterfly capacitor as a normal electric motor.

How to use it,pse?

I did find on google this info

ACP&D Limited - Small linear actuators
    www.acpd.co.uk/sonceboz-linear-actuators.html
    small linear actuators using 2-phaqse stepping motors

http://www.acpd.co.uk/sei/s/1488/sonceboz%20small%20linear%20actuator%207165.pdf

Power supply to the SYS1 board is 35v, driver is a DRV50 set at 4A, Sonceboz 6600R174 motor 4.7A, at the motor end connection I checked the two pairs of two wires one pair make G & GW the second pair make R & RW, with no load 360 + & 360 - works well, under load (cutting) -360 loses steps, first pair of wires read 3.9 to 4 volts, second pair read 5.8 to 6 volts same readings whether clock wise or anti clock.
    Have tried the motor on a different axis output and works as it should no problem, the problem has to be in the driver board, been in touch with Roy @ DIYCNC sending it back for him to check out and repair.
    What i would like to find out is what voltage readings should I be seeing on the two pairs of wires should they be the same? should one pair be different? I know one is Step the other is Dir but that is as far as my electrical knowhow goes.

Tnx for help!
    73 de VA6POP
    Vasile

SONCEBOZ 7165R001 1 004.jpgSONCEBOZ 7165R001 1 001.jpgSONCEBOZ 7165R001 1 003.jpgSONCEBOZ 7165R001 1 002.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by VA6POP View Post
    Hi!

I did disassemble a SONCEBOZ 7165R001, small linear actuators using 2-phaqse stepping motors.
    I would like to use the motor to drive a hv huge butterfly capacitor as a normal electric motor.

How to use it,pse?

I did find on google this info

ACP&D Limited - Small linear actuators
    www.acpd.co.uk/sonceboz-linear-actuators.html
    small linear actuators using 2-phaqse stepping motors

http://www.acpd.co.uk/sei/s/1488/sonceboz%20small%20linear%20actuator%207165.pdf

Power supply to the SYS1 board is 35v, driver is a DRV50 set at 4A, Sonceboz 6600R174 motor 4.7A, at the motor end connection I checked the two pairs of two wires one pair make G & GW the second pair make R & RW, with no load 360 + & 360 - works well, under load (cutting) -360 loses steps, first pair of wires read 3.9 to 4 volts, second pair read 5.8 to 6 volts same readings whether clock wise or anti clock.
    Have tried the motor on a different axis output and works as it should no problem, the problem has to be in the driver board, been in touch with Roy @ DIYCNC sending it back for him to check out and repair.
    What i would like to find out is what voltage readings should I be seeing on the two pairs of wires should they be the same? should one pair be different? I know one is Step the other is Dir but that is as far as my electrical knowhow goes.

Tnx for help!
    73 de VA6POP
    Vasile

SONCEBOZ 7165R001 1 004.jpgSONCEBOZ 7165R001 1 001.jpgSONCEBOZ 7165R001 1 003.jpgSONCEBOZ 7165R001 1 002.jpg

It's an excellent idea....and a great way to quickly return to any position. You can also do microstepping with your particular driver, I believe...though that might be a bit overkill.
    I wouldn't put too much stock in DC voltage readings, though. You want to use a good oscilloscope to see the pulse duty cycles.

Eric

Eric
    "The more you know, the less you don't know."

I am assuming the two pair of wires you are talking about are between the driver and the motor. That the "Step" and "Dir" are inputs to the controller as that is the typical name used.

The two pairs of two wires driving the motor are squares waves phase shifted relative to each other setting the direction. As the square wave is driving an inductor under load the measured voltage or waveform are a bit dynamic.

"Step" and "Dir" are the logic level input to the stepper driver controller. High or Low level on "Dir" will set CW or CCW operation. "Step" will be driven by a stream of pulses. Each pulse moving the stepper motor 1 increment of movement in CW or CCW direction. Each increment of movement depends on how the driver is setup. Full step, Half-step, Micro-step and each mode has a fixed number of degrees the motor will move.

Mike

Rereading again I see your comment of step lose under load and slightly different reading. I believe the difference between the readings may be more important than the absolute reading. Suggests to me that part of the driver output is less than 100%. Using the motor on a different driver is a good way to collect comparative readings from board to board if they are the same design and make.

Quote Originally Posted by VA6POP View Post

...snip...

...snip...
    Last edited by KE5MC; 04-06-2012 at 08:48 PM.
    73, Mike
    The road goes on forever and the party never ends...

A radio Control RC motor and / or controller may work for you. You can Gear it for what you need.

Save Money, be happy.

"Theory only works perfect in a vacuum." KA9JLM Don

Control of Stepping Motors
    Douglas W. Jones at The University of Iowa
    http://www.divms.uiowa.edu/~jones/step/

Earlier Q&A at MyCNC forum (UK) on this same topic:
    http://www.mycncuk.com/forums/archiv...hp/t-4182.html

Documentation and data sheets for that specific motor are available.
    Sounceboz Hybrid Stepper Motors
    http://www.sonceboz.com/en/hybrid-st...stepper-motor/

Stepper motor ratings and specifications

Stepper motors nameplates typically give only the winding current and occasionally the voltage and winding resistance. The rated voltage will produce the rated winding current at DC: but this is mostly a meaningless rating, as all modern drivers are current limiting and the drive voltages greatly exceed the motor rated voltage.
    A stepper's low speed torque will vary directly with current. How quickly the torque falls off at faster speeds depends on the winding inductance and the drive circuitry it is attached to, especially the driving voltage.
    Steppers should be sized according to published torque curve, which is specified by the manufacturer at particular drive voltages or using their own drive circuitry.

Stepper Motor Basics
    http://www.stepcontrol.com/stepping101.html

Stepper Motors -- Fundamentals (How they work)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stepper_motor

Micro-stepping Tutorial, ZaberWiki
    http://www.zaber.com/wiki/Tutorials/Microstepping
    Last edited by W9GB; 04-06-2012 at 09:13 PM.
    Nullius in verba

Steppers are a good precision placement type of motor. The amount of torque you would need for a butterfly capacitor won't be much unless it's a really big one. When I checked the different types of motors to use in my magnetic loop I found the steppers to need too much extra circuitry and the needed wiring for the motor was more then I wanted to deal with. To tune my vacuum variable capacitor I used a very small 10 RPM intermittent duty reversible AC motor. Used two 12.6V transformers to send the power to the motor (it's a 120VAC motor). One transformer at the control box in the shack and one in the tuning section. Bought a cheap 100 ft 3 conductor extension cord to feed the power to the motor. Used one wire as common, one was 12.6VAC and the third was a direction control line.
    Now for your circuit problem. You should have the same voltage being provided by all drivers in the stepper motor controller to the stepper motor windings. The only thing that should change that would be if the windings in the motor are not the same resistance. If you tried the motor on another controller and it worked then you have a problem with the original controller.
    Hope this helps
    Gary

stepper motor controllers available frm MARLIN P JONES MPJA,com

and motors also..